Making a Move

My time in the cooler seemed to go on forever, but I didn't mind because it gave me a chance to work out what to do about Sambuca. By the time the bell went, I had a rough idea of how to deal with her, so I went to find her. She was stood at her locker, alone.
"Hey Sam," I said, in a friendly tone of voice, leaning on the locker next to his.
"I'm meeting Finn, so would you just clear off," she replied, bluntly.
"I'll be quick," I smiled. "How are you?"
"What is up with you? Why are you being so," she paused, "nice?"
"You wading into me and Ethan's business, I know why you're doing it," I sighed.
"For Ethan's sake, yeah," she snapped.
"You see, you say that," I smiled
"I'm not falling for tricks," she answered.
"Really, it's me you care about, me you love," I smiled.
"Now you're getting ridiculous," she laughed. I didn't say anything, but looked into her eyes, then pulled her close to me and kissed her on the lips. Just as Finn walked round the corner with Lauren, Kyle and Josh.

"Eh! What you doing!" shouted Finn, running over to me.
"Get off!" shouted Sam, pushing me back.
"Don't be like that," I smiled to Sam, going closer to her again. She froze.
"Keep your hands off her!" barked Finn.
"Or what?" I laughed. With that, Finn shoved me backwards, so I fell against the locker. "Bring it on then!" I shouted, jumping up and going for Sharkey.
"Lauren! Get help!" screamed Sambuca frantically. Lauren dashed off whilst Sam attempted to pick us apart. She didn't achieve much though. Josh and Kyle just watched, in a stunned silence, stood near the front of the spectators. I managed to trip Finn up, but I fell to the ground with him.

We were still scrapping on the floor when Mr Clarkson and Mr Mead came running down the corridor, closely followed by Mrs Fisher.
"Finn!" shouted Mr Clarkson as he tried to pull me off him. I could feel Mr Mead pulling at me too. After a short struggle the teacher's succeeded and I felt Mr Mead holding onto me tightly, close to his body.
"And what would your excuse this time be?" shouted Mrs Fisher, looking straight into my eyes.
"He went for me!" I shouted, trying to make another move for Finn.
"Oh no you don't," hissed Mr Mead, gripping me even tighter.
"This true?" asked Mrs Fisher, turning to Finn.
"Well, yeah, but only 'cause he made a move on Sam, and provoked me," sighed Finn, although he sounded upset.
"Made a move?" she asked.
"Tried to kiss her, the little-"
"That's enough, Sharkey!" shouted Mr Clarkson.

"Take them to the cooler," ordered Mrs Fisher, and with that, Mr Mead dragged me away from the scene. Initially I tried to resist, but I quickly gave up. I could hear Mr Clarkson talking to Finn behind us. "Lauren, Sam, Josh, Kyle. You too," continued Mrs Fisher.
"What?" snapped Kyle. "We done nothing!" I glanced over my shoulder to see Mrs Fisher walking up to Kyle.
"I want to get to the bottom of this. And you four appear to be witnesses," she said simplistically. Kyle tutted, then started to follow me. The others were just behind him.

"Okay," said Mrs Fisher, walking into the cooler and shutting the door behind her. "Someone is going to explain all that to me, all of it." Nobody spoke. Mrs Fisher looked around the room at us all. I was sat on the far side from the door, second row back, with Mr Mead leaning on the table in front of me, arms folded. Finn was sat on the other side to me, at the front. Kyle and Josh at the back, in the middle row, Lauren and Sam in front of them.
"Well it was nothing to do with me, miss, I just watched," piped up Lauren.
"Yes, but watched what?" she asked.
"Josh, Finn, Kyle and me came to meet Sam and he had his lips round her," she shrugged. "Sam tried to push him off, then he went for her again. That's when Finn tried to protect Sam."
"See. I told you," shouted Finn, putting his hand in the air.
"Less of that!" demanded Mr Clarkson.
"Even so, you should be able to handle that differently, not attack the person," pointed out Mrs Fisher.
"Sorry," muttered Finn, folding his arms and looking to the side.

"Is there anything you'd like to add, boys?" she asked, looking at Josh and Kyle. They both shrugged. "Well-" she continued.
"Aren't you going to hear my side?" I snapped.
"And what would that be?" asked Mr Mead sternly. I hesitated. "Thought so."
"Well, you five can get back to your classes, and Finn you'll have a weeks detention," instructed Mrs Fisher. She then looked at Mr Mead. "I think we should get his father in?" Chris nodded in agreement.
"You can't!" I shouted, standing up quickly, so my chair fell over behind me. The others stopped in the doorway, and turned round. Mrs Fisher walked closer to me, and Mr Mead stood up. I could see Mr Clarkson ushering the others out of the door.
"Why's that?" she asked.
"He - um - works nights," I blurted out. "He sleeps all day."
"When does he get in?" asked Mr Mead.
"I'm not sure, 6 in the morning? And he leaves by 7 at night."
"So who looks after you and Ethan?" he continued.
"He cooks us dinner, and we can look after ourselves," I said, sounding sure of myself.

Mr Mead, Mrs Fisher and Mr Clarkson exchanged concerned glances, before Mr Mead spoke.
"I'm not so sure. It just - well, you and Ethan are always fighting here. It seems it's putting too much strain on you. Both of you."
"We're brothers," I stated, shrugging. "Brothers fight."
"Most siblings stay clear of each other at school," he pointed out. I had to hesitate before I could think of an answer.
"Maybe being alone at home a lot means we learn to look out for each other."
"Maybe," considered Mr Mead. "Look, you might be right, it might be fine, but I think it would be best if we sent someone round, just to be sure."

"You're getting social services involved?" I blurted, quickly and in shock.
"Only to check everything is alright at home," smiled Mrs Fisher.
"But like you say, it's fine. So what have you got to worry about?" added Mr Mead. Clearly, he was suspicious. I nodded.
"Dad's off the next few days. Not tomorrow, but the next day, be the best time for someone to come round. His body will be functioning at the right times," I joked. Mr Mead nodded at me.