XV

ELAINE was lost for words, Jacob kept on sobbing. He said sorry. He wanted her back, but was it worth another chance? No. Never. Cheaters are never worthy of a chance. Her face became stoic as she side stepped, picking her duffel bag in the process.

"Papatawarin kita hindi dahil mahal kita at handa akong balikan ka," tumalungko si Elaine para magtapat ang kanilang mga mata. "Papatawarin kita dahil nakakaawa ka," dugtong niya na muling nakapagpayuko kay Jacob.

Muling tumayo si Elaine at hinawi ang kanyang basang buhok patalikod at iniwan si Jacob na nakaluhod doon. She kept her head up kahit na umuulan. Ang tanging pakialam lamang niya ay ang makalayo kay Jacob dahil hindi niya kayang labanan ang pagbilis ng tibok ng kanyang puso sa kada tingin sa kanya ni Jacob. Fuck her heart for not cooperating with her! Fuck her heart for loving him even he'd hurt her so damn much.

"Elaine, wait." She ignored his call, continuing walking away. Nagmadaling maglakad si Elaine nang marinig niya ang bilis ng yabang ng paa nitong tumatama sa tubig sa semento but he caught her right away. He held her duffel bag to stop her from walking away. "You..."

He eyed her bag but he looked directly into her eyes directly as if he was touching her soul. She felt like she was paralyzed for a moment, unable to move away, unable to divert her gaze away from his eye contact. The beads of rain water on his face were like his tears earlier, falling so vividly, and it made him look more appealing to her eyes. His hair was covering his forehead, and his eyes looked so tired and restless. It was red, and she knew it was because he had cried for her which made her heart flutter but infuriated the shit out of her. His dominant aura was gone as if it fled ever since the day he revealed the truth.

"You going somewhere?" He asked, and he looked hopeful for an answer from her. Elaine nodded as she pull her bag gently away from his tightening grip. "Can I drive for you?"

His voice was sort of pleading her to say yes but she wanted to say no. Her lower lip trembled as she watched her bit his lip hoping for a yes. He added, "Just like the old times. Promise, I won't do anything. I'll just drive you somewhere you want to be and I will leave you there because..." Jacob took a deep breathe and released it before continuing his sentence, "Because I know you don't want to see me again. Hell, you might not want to hear from me again and you might not to hear my name again. I promise, this is the last time."

Elaine took a deep breath, feeling so damn tensed from his stare. She really wanted to say no but she said, "Okay."

She didn't really know why she said okay. It's just that she felt like she needed to because of Jacob's eyes. She pitied him, alright! But she should not give him hopes that they might get back together because they won't. Cheaters have no space for Elaine's life. And it's enough reason to give him his last. She will never see him again, he said. And she will hold on to that.

Elaine saw a glint of surprise in his eyes as if he didn't expect that she will say yes. She watched it turn into happiness seconds later. He closed his eyes and silently said yes. Her heart constricted by the thought that will be the last time they'll be together. It must be the time for their real closure that is long overdue. A closure that should really end the connection they had, a closure that will end all the question that she still has in her mind.

Why?

She remained silent as the heavy rain has finally come to stop. Jacob motioned her to follow him in which she did. She watched the happiness dance in his eyes but she couldn't help but feel the emptiness in her heart. It's sad to give last moment with the one you thought you loved so much. It's hard to think that happiness will be replaced by sadness after some moments that might end some time people don't know. Elaine smiled to herself as she step inside his car when he opened the door for her. In his eyes, she can now see mixture of different emotions concealed by happiness, keeping it captive as much as possible. But all of those can't escape from Elaine for she knew Jacob so much it made her afraid — so afraid that he would turn into stranger.