11 // The Game

HANNAH  //  SEPTEMBER 23

"1! 2! 3! 4! 5! 6! 7! 8!" I called out the steps walking around my girls snapping my fingers to keep the rhythm. "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and Brittany, feet together, 5 and 6 and Ally, arms apart, 7 and up, turn, then down for 8." I gave rapid instructions. "Good! That's looking a lot better, ladies! Let's run through it one more time and then we'll call it for the day, how does that sound?" I was exhausted and I could see how tired the rest of my team was as well. We had been at practice for over two hours; if I held them any longer, someone was going to get hurt.

"Hey, how did practice go?" Vivi jogged up beside me as I was walking into the locker room.

"Good. We're working on a new routine for the football game this Saturday." I told Vivi.

"Cheerleading isn't a sport, Hannah!" Delilah called out as she walked by with a group of field hockey players who snickered at her words.

Vivi linked her arm through mine to let me know that she was on my side.

"Why does she hate me so much?" I asked Vivi. "We used to be friends in middle school."

"People change, I guess," Vivi nudged me. "You know that, babe."

I knew she was best friends with Delilah, but I just didn't understand why. "How did your practice go?"

"Tough. We ran a lot today so I'm glad it's over." My best friend looked exhausted. "Are you coming over tonight so we can study for that math test tomorrow? I have hummus," she persuaded me.

I laughed as we walked into the locker room. "Of course, I'll be over. It's our tradition, Vivi, you think I would give it up now?" She and I went into our separate corners of the locker room. I saw her start talking with Delilah and felt a sinking feeling inside of me. I honestly couldn't tell you why she hated me so much.

"So, how's Lauren?" I asked Will over the phone. I was lying on my bed, cuddling with a teddy bear he had given me the first Christmas we were dating. His name was Waddle, don't ask why because I have no idea. According to Will, he came with the name. Waddle was the color of sand, and as soft as my pink flannel sheets in the winter. He wore a blue and gold stripped bow tie that matched the bottom of his feet. I slept with him most nights.

"She's good." Will replied and I could only imagine how awkward this must be for him, dating my little cousin and all. "I think we're becoming friends, kinda," Will said. "How's Ben?" he asked me in a cruel tone. I knew Will was upset about me and Ben because of the reputation he had. To put it in the nicest way, Ben had a lot of friends... who were girls... and he talked to all of them a lot.

"Ben's fine," I shrugged though I knew that Will couldn't see me. "He's nice to me." I told Will who laughed. "Well, nicer than I thought he would be." I clarified which only made Will laugh more. "Stop laughing!" I yelled at him, sitting up. "It's making me miss you more than I already do!" I complained as I tucked my feet under my legs. Will's laughter died down until it was nothing more than a chuckle.

"Hannah, do not let him take you to a party because you will wake up the next morning with the worst hangover having no idea where you are and I guarantee you will be missing most, or all of your clothes," Will cautioned me.

"Why, are you speaking from experience?" I giggled remembering the time Will missed our lunch date because he was three towns over at some party with Ben the night before. Will showed up at my house wearing a shirt that definitely wasn't his and his shorts were on inside out.

"Yes, I am. Ben is crazy when it comes to parties." Will told me seriously. "Be careful, okay?"

"I will. Try and get Lauren to come out of her shell a little bit." I replied before telling Will that I had to go to bed.