Chapter 4: Dangers beyond the wall

My eyes slowly open to faint light streaming through my window. I woke up early today surprisingly, I must be excited. But why wouldn't I be? My father is finally going to train me for real! I jump out of bed and walk over to the worn out chest at the foot of my bed, finding a note written on birch bark.

Sarah,

Please wear the armor for our training today. I'd feel much better if you did and with what I'm going to teach you, you may very well need it.

Phoenix, your worried father.

I giggled a little at how he signed it but I comply to his request, placing on the dragon skin under armor before slipping on a red T-shirt and black track pants. After that I went to leave my room, almost running into my little sister Lily at my door. Her eyes widening as she sees me ready, "You're already up! Are you sick?"

I playfully swat her arm, laughing as I walk by her, "No Lily, just excited." She giggles and follows behind me. As she follows me she would be forming a ball of wind between her hands, a furrow forming in her brow as she concentrates to keep all the wind in one spot. She only holds it for a few seconds before all the wind blows around, making her hair blow back as the wind disappears. With a sigh she drops her hand while I just smile. "Wow Lily, you haven't even went to the school for more than a day and you're already really good. Speaking of school, are you excited?"

As I enter the kitchen I look back to see a big smile on her face, "Yes Sarah, I'm very excited. I'm glad daddy is letting me go now."

After entering the kitchen I found another note which I picked up and began reading.

Sarah,

Walk Lily to the school please. After that head to the south wall, I helped with guarding last night so I will meet you there.

Phoenix, you're proud father.

After reading it I turn to Lily and smile, "I guess I'm walking you to school today." Before I even finished my sentence she was out the door. I chuckle softly, shaking my head as I follow behind her. "Lily, we still have to eat breakfast!" She didn't hear me though. Great, no breakfast today.

The grass was still wet from the storm last night but most everything else has dried out by now. Lily had to stop a few times for me to catch up to her and show her where to go, "Come on Sarah~ You're too slow~"

I shake my head and pick up my pace a little, smiling at my little sister's impatience, "I'm coming Lily, just turn right and you should see a building sitting in a field."

Lily raced around the corner and towards the school. Thankfully she stopped in front of it and waited for me. She had a puzzled look on her face, "Sarah, why don't you go to school now?"

I smile and pat her head, causing her to swat my hand away. "I don't have to go to school because of the tournament. Everyone old enough gets to miss a couple days before the first match and everyone who passes the first match doesn't have to go to school unless they lose the second match."

The next thing I know my sister has her arms wrapped around me, hugging me tightly, "I hope you lose Sarah, I don't want you to go away forever."

I smile sadly and hug her back, "I promise if I win I'll find the safe place and come back to get you." I then move her gently away a little and held out my hand with my little finger sticking out. "I pinky promise." She smiled and wrapped her little finger with mine before she said her goodbyes and went inside the school.