1

~*Mitch*~

The blazing sun was high overhead as I walked. The only colours to be seen is the blue from the cloudless sky, green from the occasional cactus, and a sea of brown. If you asked me what was out in the wasteland, I'll answer it honestly; the only thing out here is dust. Dust, and the occasional wild boar.

Stepping over a skull of an animal, I pull out my canteen and take off the lid before holding it up to drink. Instead of the rush of water like I was hoping for, only a few scarce drops land on my tongue. Out of water. I knew chasing that boar was a bad idea. Sighing, I put the canteen away. It's best not to stay in one place for too long, or the coyotes will be able to track you. And let me tell you, a wild coyote can kill a man; it happened to a guy I knew. The poor idiot. With that thought, I start walking again. My destination? A place to refill my canteen; wherever that may be.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If there is one thing I learned from the thirteen years I've been wandering, it's that animals will lead you to a place with water. That, and the fact that all animals, except for the occasional coyote or wolf, are willing to share the water with you. I don't know if they just don't notice me, or if they recognize I have the same problems they do. Personally, I believe the earlier option.

Treading softly, I make my way down to the water. Sure the animals don't mind me being here, but I'd prefer for them not to start stampeding out of here if I scare them. Careful now. You can't drop-

"It's a wonderful day, isn't it Benja?" A loud, obnoxious voice shouts from behind me. I silently curse as the animals charge in a spontaneous burst of fear, shoving me into the water in their wake. Resurfacing, I wipe the water from my eyes to see the man who almost cost me my life. The brunette man was laughing wildly from his perch on the top of a nearby boulder. I swear one of these days...

"This isn't funny, Frags," I mutter, wading out of the water.

"Y-yeah you're right." The hyperactive man calms down for a moment. "It was hilarious!" And yet again, he starts bursting out in laughter. I sigh in frustration and shake the water out of my hair.

"Shut up before you start attracting unwanted guests." Much like yourself...

"Fine, fine. But you gotta admit, the face you had when the bull kicked you into the water was priceless!" He exclaims, finally calming down. I roll my eyes at his childish behaviour.

"Whatever. I only came here for a refill." Muttering quietly, I turn back to the water and take out my canteen.

"Hey! Fill mine up too!" As expected, his canteen lands on the ground beside me. Sighing quietly, I take off the cap of my own and let the water fill it up before setting it aside and filling up Frags'. Honestly, it's like this guy follows me everywhere! Wherever I go he just happens to be right there too.

"There you go," I say, throwing the canteen back at him. He catches it easily, flashing me a toothy grin. Maybe it could be an advantage having someone else. No. Remember what happened last time you travelled with someone.

"Thank you kind sir~!" Frags calls before putting his canteen away. "Where you headin' anyways?"

I sigh and stand up. "South."

"The usual eh? Not surprising. You do like to stay on the same path." Frags shrugs and throws his bag over his shoulder. "Well, I'm off. Don't let the coyotes bite~!"

"To you as well." I nod to him as he turns and leaves. Sighing quietly, I pull out my compass; my father gave it to me when I was young, and I have yet to break it.

+Flash Back+

"Son, one of these days you're going to be out in the wasteland on your own. And when that time comes, you're going to need this." My father showed me a square metal object in his hand.

"What is it?" I asked as I took it from him. The cold, metallic object felt heavy in my small hands.

"It's a compass," he explains with a grin. "It will always point north with the red thingy, but where I want you to go is south." He pressed a small button on the side of the 'compass,' and the top shot up, revealing the dial like appearance of the inside. A red line was pointed toward a pointed letter. What is it? I know what it is!

"The red arrow is always pointed at the N, which stands for north. The letter to the left of that is W, which is west, E for east, and the last one is-"

I interrupted him excitedly. "South!" I exclaimed with a bright smile.

"That's right! Now when you're ready, I want you to always travel in the direction opposite of what the red arrow is pointed to. Got that?" I nodded in understanding, absorbing everything he told me. Opposite of the red arrow...

"You're a good kid Mitchell." He ruffled my hair with a light hearted chuckle.

+Reality+

I shake my head before opening it up. Don't cry. You promised you wouldn't. I carefully lift the lid of the metal box and check the direction before heading out, secretly hoping that I won't run into anyone else in my travels.
________________________
Fun fact about me: I usually warn people about new books I post! For this one though, it's gonna be a surprise. Cx

Another fun fact: I have an unhealthy obsession with the anime K.

XD

Anywho,

:)

Much Luv,
Mickey-Kenzie

(Cue Future Mickey's cringe as she edits these 40-something chapters she so badly wrote.)