20

~*Jerome*~

Whatever that was, he really didn't want me to be around it. Sighing, I stop walking and turn around. That loud bang was probably him dealing with whatever it was. He should be coming up the street any minute now.

"Well, well, well," a voice says from behind me. "It's not everyday I get to see a city brat out past their curfew." My eyes widen, realizing how late it actually is. Oh no...

"I-I lost track of time!" My heart races as I slowly turn around to see the guy who tried to take Mitch's gun. What was his name?

"Oh, but of course! I didn't think you'd be out at this time for any other reasons." The man looks at the knife in his hand, a small smirk growing on his face as he looks back at me. "Though, I can tell our last encounter didn't end well in your favour. How many have you scared with that scar?"

"I'd rather not talk about that," I state with a surprisingly calm voice; tightly clenching my fists. The shop lost some business because everyone thinks I'm a wastelander...

"Right. Anyways, if you don't mind me asking, have you seen Benja around?" Why is he asking about him?

"Not recently no." I need to keep up this act... he cannot get to me.

"Oh. That's too bad. I was hoping I could get to speak with him."

"About what?"

"Things a spoiled city brat like you wouldn't understand." I narrow my eyes at him.

"I'm sorry you feel that way about me." I shrug. "Now if you'll excuse me, I should be heading home."

"Leaving so soon? I haven't gotten the chance to introduce you to a new friend of mine!" The man states as I walk past. What does he mean by that? Just as that thought goes away, another knife wielding man appears in front of me. Just my luck...

"Hello there." The new man smiles at me. "Would you care to take a walk with Woofless and I? I would love to get to know you better."

"No thank you, I should be-"

"We insist," Woofless states, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. Where is Mitch when I need him?!

"But-"

"Almost nobody would dare try to harm you. Just relax! We just want to ask you a few questions."

"Hey! What's going on?" Mitch yells from nearby, making Woofless swear under his breath and turn to the other man.

"Nooch, I'll deal with Benja. You just get this kid out of here."

"Wait, wha-" before I could finish my sentence, Woofless hits me in the head with something hard. My body collapses, and everything turns dark.
The last thing I see is the second man looking down at me with a evil smile. Mitch...

~*Mitch*~

All I saw was Woofless striking a man in the head, and another carrying the man away. There is no doubt in my mind that the man was Jerome. What was he doing talking with Woofless? I thought I told him to never speak with him. And now...

I clench my fists before taking a deep breath and looking up at Woofless. "How dare you."

"Oh come on now, it's not like he was that important. After all, he's just a city brat." Woofless smirks at me. I'm going to kill him if he tries anything funny.

"Where are you taking him?" Woofless shrugs at my question and looks at his knife.

"He'll be safe. I don't know why you care so much about him; unless he knows something I don't." His smirk grows.

"Just tell me what I need to do to get him back."

"Alright, alright. Calm down, Benj. How about we trade. I'll give you the city brat if you give me that compass of yours." My compass? Why would he want that?

"You're telling me that you'd trade a living, breathing man for an old piece of metal with meaningless symbols carved into it?"

"Yes."

"You are a shallow man, Woofless," I mutter, pulling the compass out of a pocket in my bag. For some strange reason, it felt heavier than usual. Sorry dad. I know you wanted me to protect this, but a living person is more important than a piece of metal. Taking a deep breath, I hold it out to him.

"Thank you for cooperating Benja. Honestly, I didn't think you'd actually give up a three hundred year old artifact." Woofless laughs before putting the compass in his pocket. "Nooch left your city brat in the alley by his shop. He should be waking up sooner or later."

"Right." I shake my head before running in the direction of Jerome's home. If that Nooch guy hurt him any more than he already has been, I'll separate his body from that head of his.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I find Jerome right where Woofless said he would be. With a silent sigh of relief, I pick up his sleeping figure and carry him into his house. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but I didn't think it would've happened so soon. As quietly as I can, I carry him into his room and lay him down on the bed. It surprises me how light he is. It's almost as if he's been giving away his portions... Wait...

He has been giving away his portions. Giving them to me. I close my eyes and shake my head. "You cannot be starving yourself to feed me," murmuring softly, mostly to myself, I brush some hair out of his face. "I'm the one who should be doing that. Not the one who isn't used to going without food for weeks. You're an idiot, Jerome." Leaning down, I brush my lips against his forehead before sighing softly. "Sleep well." With that, I leave his room and go to sleep in the other one.
_______________________
I'm sooo sry about the late update! I lost track of time with all the papers I had to write for quarter finals...

Rip....

Plx forgives! My birthmas is in 16 days! ;~;

(2018 Mickey: Don't forgive 2016 Mickey. She isn't worth the time.)

Much Luv,
Mickey-Kenzie