3

~*Mitch*~

Would it be a good idea to travel with someone else again?

That thought hasn't left my mind since Frags and I went our opposite ways once again. Somehow we always manage to bump into each other, but that might be due to the fact that the idiot doesn't have a compass. Or a sense of direction for that matter. One thing about Frags that surprises me the most is that he's friendly. Too friendly. Every time we run into each other, he acts like he's known me his entire life. How long have we known each other again? Five, six years? Are we friends at this point?

Dear god I hope not.

My mind wandering stops as a boar appears from over the horizon. Stopping in my tracks, I crouch down and pull out a knife. As quietly as I can, I walk toward the boar. My hand was raised, ready to throw the knife if it started to run. Boars do one of two things when they're threatened. Run, or charge at you. It really depends on the time of day.

As I get closer, I start to notice strange things about this boar. From what I can see there is a cut in one of the ears, and it appears to be cleaner than all the others I've seen in my travels. What's up with this boar? Why is it not running? I'm so close!

My eyes widen as it turns to look to look at me. This boar doesn't have tusks. All boars are supposed to have tusks. It's what keeps them alive out here! If it doesn't have tusks, how has it lived this long?

Shaking my head in confusion, I raise the knife. Food is food, and I haven't eaten in a few days. I'll take anything right about now.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Once I was satisfied, I stand up and look over my clothing. Any trace of blood and I'll have coyotes tracking me for miles.

Other than the usual dirt stains, I appeared to be clean, but you can never be too cautious. I pull off my shirt for inspection; my eyes scanning for any signs of the unwanted scarlet red.

A loud whistle from behind makes me jump. "Look at those muscles! You're the hottest guy I've seen in ages." A woman's voice echoes. "Because you're a cutie, I won't tell my father about you killing our prized pig." Pig? What's a pig?

"I didn't think boars were owned. My bad." I run a hand through my hair before turning around to look at her. She looked well fed, and didn't appear to have a single ounce of muscle on her. Definitely not from out here.

"There's no need to apologize, uh."

"Benja," I say with a shrug.

"That's a weird name. Is it short for Benjamin or something? You don't look like a Benjamin. Is that why you go by Benja?" She doesn't understand that we don't use our actual names...

Just great...

"No. When you live in the wasteland, you don't use your actual name." I roll my eyes. "And before you ask, I can't tell you my real name."

"Why? Wait, is it illegal?" She covers her mouth with her hands. "I'm sorry!" I chuckle quietly at how awkward she is.

"Something like that." I toss my shirt over my shoulder and sigh.

"Well if you could give me a wasteland name, what would it be?" I raise my eyebrow at her. If I could give her a wasteland name? That's a very odd question. "I'm sorry if I'm being a nuisance!"

"Curi."

"What?" She looks at me weirdly.

"That's what I'd say your name is. It's short for Curious."

"Curi," she repeats the name to herself before flashing me a wide smile. "I like it! Thank you Benja."

"No problem. Now I would love to stay and chat some more, I have to be going now." I throw my bag over my other shoulder before walking passed her. "And thanks for not ratting me out."

"Hey um, Benja, if you wanted I could," her voice trails off and I look over my shoulder to see her looking toward the ground in embarrassment. She likes me eh? Not the first. What do they see in me anyways?

"I'm not really looking for relationships right now. That, and I'm not really," my voice trails off and I scratch the back of my neck. "How do I explain this?"

"Oh. I get it." She shakes her head before smiling. "No problem, I have a family member like you." Like me. Love your word choice there Curi.

"Like me?"

"People in the city aren't too fond of people liking the same gender. It's probably because they think they're all that remains of humanity." She sighs and rubs neck.

"The city?" My eyes widen in surprise. "It's real?!"

"Of course it is!" Curi looks at me like I've grown an extra head. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"I only heard stories about it. I've never actually been there." A smile grows on her face and she grabs my wrist.

"Let's go then!" She starts to pull me in a direction.

"Wait, what?" I stumble after her in confusion.

"I'm taking you to the city!" she states, not even looking back at me.

"At least let me put on my shirt first!" She stops and let's go of my arm after I say that.

"You don't want all the hot guys to flock to you?" Her eyebrows raise in confusion.

"I do," I pull the shirt over my head. "but if I go shirtless ladies would be chasing me more than the men."

"Right! Good thinking."

"What about the boar?" I nod my head toward it.

"I'll tell my father the coyotes got to it."