28

~*Nooch*~

It's time. It's finally time for me to finish what my ancestors started; to find the most valuable artifact within the wasteland. The diamond plaque.

"Nooch." I look over to see Craft standing in the doorway. "Star, Woof, Frags and I invited a friend and his city brat to join us." What?

"What do you mean by," I raise my eyebrows and stand up, "'invited?' This was supposed a private exhibition."

"Our friend is the son of Sniper, and, surprisingly, his brat has some promise with combat." Craft looks over at me with a smirk. "They already know all the details of the mission." The son of Sniper...
Benja?

"You invited Benja?"

"Well, well, well. You seem to know your wastelanders. Good job! Maybe next time you might be able to guess where Star and I are from!" Craft's voice was laced with more sarcasm than you could ever imagine. I really don't like this guy.

"Whatever. We're leaving at sunset. Make sure to tell that to your friend and his 'plus one.'"

"Will do!" His voice was enthusiastic, but I could tell he was mocking me. He doubts that I'll find it. I'm sure they all do. I'll prove that I'm not crazy for believing that plaque is still out there.

Even if I die trying.

~*Woofless*~

I watch Jerome closely as he looks around at the four wastelanders in the room with him. Unlike most city brats who would be passed out by now, he seems perfectly calm. His eyes don't show any fear. He hasn't changed much from our first encounter.

"So, how's that scar going for you? Scare off a few kids yet?" I direct the attention to the brat and eliminate the awkward silence among us all.

"Only three," The brat states with a shrug. "But that was the monthly average; even without the scar." Star lets out a quiet giggle at the reply. Was there a joke that I missed?

"Kids are always spooked easily," Frags states, looking over from his laying down position. "That's why it's so fun to tell them stories about coyotes and wild boars. They always scream and run off just before the good part." He sighs and lays his head back down again.

"No wonder all the adults keep on glaring at you, Frags. You're scaring their kids to death," Benja mutters from his spot beside the city-born; his arm protectively wrapped around Jerome's shoulders.

"I'm sure this isn't the only thing on all of our minds," Star begins, "but what should we call your brat, Benja? I doubt he appreciates being called 'City Brat' all day, and from the way you've been acting his actual name is out of the question." I forgot that Craft and Star don't know the brat's name.

"We never really discussed that. Did your dad ever call you some sort of name aside from your actual one?" Benja looks at Jerome in curiosity. Of course. It's always our dad, or mum in Star's case, who gives us our wasteland name. It usually starts out as a nickname, and I absolutely hated mine.

"Yeah! My dad called me Fraggles for the longest time. Then I turned ten and he told me 'Frags' is my wasteland name." Frags finally sits up to look at all of us. His nickname wasn't as bad as mine was. Fraggles... it suits him.

Jerome waits for Frags to finish talking before speaking up. "I haven't seen my dad in 16 years, and I don't-" before Jerome could finish Craft pokes his head into the room.

"Noochy says that we're heading out at sunset. Make sure your brat is prepared for the journey Benja." Craft looks directly at Jerome as if he's trying to be intimidating. Jerome takes a deep breath before standing up and glaring at Craft.

"Don't call me 'Brat.' I am a grown man. Not a child." Craft narrows his eyes and pulls out a knife; the blade pressed against the city-born's throat. Benja still hasn't taught him how to not be suicidal.

"Don't test me shortie. That will be your downfall." Jerome doesn't show any emotion to Craft's action.

"You're not scary, blondie. In fact, I think I remember seeing a kid who looked exactly like you come into my grandparents shop about ten years ago. I think his name started with an 'L?'" Craft's eyes widen with terror and he backs away from Jerome quickly, as if the man was an angry coyote. Jerome knows Craft's real name? How?

"Ooh! Feisty! I like this guy." Frags has a giant smile on his face. "Good choice, Benj!" Benja's face looked paler than usual as he nodded in response to Frags. Was he worried?

"Just call me Baca," Jerome speaks up before sitting down next to Benja again. Benja inspects the man's neck before visibly relaxing. He was worried! Craft wouldn't have actually hurt the guy.

"Baca it is." Star nods to Jerome before standing up and going to comfort the scared stiff blonde. After a few moments Star takes the man out of the room. I'd also be scared if someone almost reveals my real name with four killers in the room.

"Do you actually know his name?" I ask once the two have left the room.

"You could say that."