34

~*Jerome*~

I watch as the man drops the gun almost immediately before kicking it away and stepping back. I did it?

"Are you ok?" I ask as I run over to Mitch and carefully lift his upper body off the ground.

"I'm fine," Mitch mutters through clenched teeth; his hands were holding the wound on his stomach as he leaned his head against me. "It's just a scratch."

"This isn't a joke, Mitchell," I say in a quiet voice, "You could-"

"Calm down." Mitch looks me in the eyes. "You shake when your worried." What? Why is he fussing over me when he's the one that had been shot.

"How can I?" I'm holding back tears as I look back at him. "Your going to-"

"No I'm not," Mitch's voice grows dark. "I'm not dying. I can't leave you out here alone."

"Guys! We heard the gun go off." I look away from Mitch to see Frags and Star running over to us; Craft and Woofless close behind.

"About time!" Mitch lets out a pained laugh as the guys gather around him and I.

"You need someone who knows how to take out a bullet," the-man-who-shot-Mitch speaks up, "And I doubt any of you know how to do that."

"Like we care about what you think," Frags states before pulling out a knife and pressing it against the man's throat. "Why did you shoot him?"

"To see how my son would react in a life or death situation."

"Son? Who here is your son?!"

"Take a wild guess." The man's gaze falls onto me. "I know someone who can remove a bullet, but I'll need my head to tell you."

"Frags, back off the man," Woofless states, grabbing Frags' shoulder. Frags glares at the man for a few moments before backing off and crossing his arms.

"Thank you." The man clears his throat before speaking again. "My friend Sniper has taken out a few bullets in his day, and I'm sure he'd love to help you guys out."

"Sniper's dead," Star states, which causes the man to let out a laugh.

"No he isn't. He's right there!" The man points in the direction of the ladder. Confused, I follow everyone's gaze to see a man walking over to us. He looked almost identical to Mitch, aside from greying hair and crows-feet in the corners of his eyes. Is that Mitch's dad?

"Anyone have a spare knife?" 'Sniper' questions as he looks around at everyone. Woofless reluctantly reaches into his pocket and hands Old-Mitch a knife. Sniper nods to Woofless before crouching down and looking at me. "You're going to help me, alright?"

"Ok?"

"Good." Sniper cuts open Mitch's shirt, revealing the wound. "Now hold him upright."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Mitch is sound asleep on a bed; shirtless aside from the white bandages that are tightly wrapped around his stomach. His rising and falling chest helps calm my nerves, but they don't go away for long. Is he going to be ok?

"It's about time you get some rest, Jerome." I look over to see Nathan leaning against the doorframe, his arms crossed.

"Don't call me that," I say before looking back at Mitch.

"Look, I'm sorry. But it was the only-"

"'The only way' he says." I close my eyes and let out a laugh. "I could think of at least ten different ways to deal with that same situation that didn't involve almost killing a man."

"How long have you been out here, Jerome?" Nathan's voice sounds closer than it was earlier, but I don't turn to look at him again.

"I said not to call me that."

"I don't care. Answer my question."

"A little over two weeks."

"Two weeks?" His voice sounds surprised, "I could've sworn... How long have you known this one?"

"Benja? I've known him since..." my voice trails off. How long has it been? "Since he saved my life months ago."

"I see." Nathan's voice trails off before he shakes his head. "Never mind. How's your mother?"

"My mom?" I turn to look at Nathan in confusion. Does he not know?

"Yeah." Nathan nods. "Your mom."

"She died almost ten years ago." I look away from him. "Grandma and Grandpa took over after that."

"I suspected that would happen." Nathan lets out a soft chuckle. "They still hate me, don't they?"

"Well." I look back at Mitch and move some hair off his forehead. "They still hate wastelanders if that is what you're asking."

"Thought as much. How'd they react to him?"

"I never told them where he was from."

"Smart," I feel Nathan's hand on my shoulder for a second before it moves away. "I'll leave you two be. If you want, there is a spare room next door. It's mine, but I'll be on lookout tonight."

"Thanks, but I won't be needing it."

"Suit yourself." I just want Mitch to be alright. That's all I want. Is that too much to ask for? My hand reaches over and holds Mitch's limp one. Never again will I ever let this happen to you. Sighing softly, I lean over and brush my lips against his forehead. I'm not going to move from this spot until I know you're ok.

Even if it kills me...
______________________

I wish my dad was as calm as Jerome's is when I yell...

But then again, my dad overreacts about the smallest things...

Like my grades if they drop below a B...

Fun facts about Mickey-Kenzie's life with Mickey-Kenzie! XD

Anyways,

Much-Luv,
Mickey-Kenzie