XIV. Gingerbread

Tessa Kade

Chapter 14: Gingerbread

I was rushing. There were clothes strewn out across the floor from my hectic dash to pack myself up and the consistent knocking on my door was only increasing my irritation. It seemed that every single hotel I stayed at someone ended up knocking on my door. Seriously, can I get no time to freak out over things?

When another round of knocks rapped at my door I threw the things in my hands to the floor and stalked towards the white frame. Just as I tugged it open I was met with a hand nearly colliding with my face before it quickly left my view. The sight of Yasmin in front of me sent me turning on my heel away, leaving the door open so she could talk as I finished up.

"Adam's back," She spoke formally, "He'll be taking you to the airport."

"Okay," I replied back bluntly. My eyes were running across the room, hands collecting as much as they could.

"I suppose I'll be seeing you in four weeks then," Yasmin started again. I barely glanced at her as I shrugged before returning back to shoving things into my suitcase.

The sound of the door clicking shut told me that I'd been left to stress over packing by myself once again. It's not as if I was complaining though since having someone awkwardly standing there whilst I'm packing my delicates would be weird. I love Yasmin, but not enough to have her see what slides up my legs every morning.

In what seemed to be record breaking time I successfully packed all of my shit into the two suitcases I was provided with. They sat by the door as I waited for Adam to come by and pick me up in about an hour or so to head to the airport. My mind was racing with seeing my family again, spending time with them and simply feeling normal. It's silly how just the idea of being in the rickety old house is such a warm and welcoming thought. I blame Liam. He's making me soft.

Speaking of the asshole, I last talked to him nearly a week ago when he returned back to the UK. He's been spending an insane amount of time with his own family, sometimes tweeting about finally BBQ'ing like he's "dreamt" about for a while. We'd grown out of the new friend phase so I didn't find myself wanting to talk to him as much as I did. That's a good thing though, I don't need to be emotionally attached to anyone besides my family and Marina.

I continued to stare outside the glass doors leading out to the balcony, caught in my thoughts. Staying in the UK was nice but it felt like there was more drama then needed. Don't get me wrong, I loved going sight seeing and the concerts were insane but there's nothing like good old America. Just the sense of home and no posh accents was such a welcoming thought I got shivers. And it's all merely a day away.

The consistent buzzing in my pocket grabbed my attention, fingers casually pulling it up to my face. I grinned widely before hitting the answer button and putting the phone to my ear, "And to what do I owe this phone call?"

"Perhaps it's the fact you're leaving me for your own crappy country," Marina spoke with nonchalance.

"Oh please, you're still considered a citizen of that crappy country. You're only here on a get away," I rolled my eyes as I talked, "and it's not forever, I'll be back."

"Yeah you'll be back, but not for me," She snickered and if I could i would've slapped her.

"You're an ass, you know that?" I shook my head but smiled anyways.

"Well it's true! You two may have only been caught out in public once but I know there's stuff going on behind the scenes," She ranted off, "and being as close to you as I am I think I'm obligated to know what it is that's going on."