Chapter Twenty Four

Feel free to point out any mistakes.

Please Like, Share and Comment 💖

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Kristina's POV

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

My hands grappled at the back of the couch, steadying me as much as one could after finding out that their best friend of many years was dying from both blood loss and poisoning.

"Poison," I echo with a dull roaring in my ears, my own horror evident in my voice. "What do you mean poison? Why would they poison him?"

Kyle sighed through his nose as he surveyed the mess that was Josh. "Most likely, to insure his death." I flinched. "If the torture they inflicted didn't kill him then the poison would and if, by some rare notice we managed to pull off, he had managed to escape he would likely be dead before the day was up."

Swallowing hard, I squared my shoulders. "What do we do?"

Kyle fingered his eyebrow as he shook his head, looking down at Josh with an accessing hardness in his eyes. "I . . . I don't know."

I let out a shuddering breath and slowly rounded the couch to stand at his side, my chest brushing up against his arm as I too looked down at the prone form on the couch.

"We don't have the right resources here to help him. The best I can do is make him comfortable."

Comfortable? Make him comfortable!

He heard my snarl and looked down at me with sadness in his beautiful eyes. "I'm sorry, baby." I swallowed hard and stepped back, away from him, trying to ignore the stinging in my eyes and the burn behind my lids.

Luca returned then, medical kit in hand and Kyle shook his head once at him and Luca tensed. He set down the box on the coffee table and came stand at my side, looking over my head at his brother, my mate. They seemed to have a silent convocation which was entirely possible through their family mind link the same way it was possible through my mother and I.

I knew the reason for it was the fact that thus didn't want to hurt me with the truth. Josh was going to die here, desperate and in pain, unable to take one final glance at his sister, to tell her things that dwelled deep in his heart. Tears splashed down my cheeks, unbidden, because I knew that there was nothing nothing that I could do to make this better.

Unless . . .

"Get him up," I barked, already surging forward to Josh, a plan taking shape in the corners of my mind. "We need to get him out of here."

"Where are we going?" Luca asked as Kyle readily assisted me in picking up Josh. "We can't move him. He'll bleed out faster." There was something desperate, almost pained in his tone and I glance over my shoulder at him as I set Josh's feet on the ground, omitting a low pained groan from the latter. Lucas face, which had earlier been relaxed, feel of tension and alight with laughter and flushed with joy, was now ashen, his cheeks leaked of all colour, eyes glimmering silver in the low lamp light of the cabins front room. His hands were shaking almost as badly as my own. He lacked the calm purposeful control his older brother honed with a lethal grace. He looked afraid. Younger than his years with Josh's blood smeared all over his clothes and hands. He looked how I felt.