Chapter Sixteen { Part One }

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Here's another update. Remember, the more you comment, the faster I write. It just gives me a boost to have all your support. Don't forget forget to share this story with anyone you can!

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Kristina POV

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

The door behind us shut with a light click and Mika and I are alone. We walk in silent for a while, heading out of the house and anyone with eyes could see how awkward it was. Maybe I was making it awkward. Should I say something?

Before I can, Mika speaks up, his hands dug deep in the front pockets of his light wash jeans. "So, what shall we do?"

I shrug. "I'm new around here, what do you want to do?" I didn't even know where the damn pack house was let alone anything else.

"We could go for a run," He suggests. "Or we could go into town."

I turn to him, slightly excited. "Town?"

He reaches up and scratches the back of his neck. I notice his a lot more quiet now then he was before. Back in my father's office, he was joking around. Now he seemed. . . quiet. Reserved.

"Yeah. There's quiet a lot there. I mean, there's a bowling alley if you want to go there."

I grin.

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

The car we rode in was a sleek black convertible and the seats inside where soft, plush and leather. The windows were tinted also so it blocked out most of the light and I was sure that if we drove by anyone I'd just recently met, they'd never know it was us inside.

Mika was seated next to me on the drivers side, drumming his fingers absently on the steering wheel. I sat beside him, acting like the common dog with my head stuck out the window, the wind whipping harshly at my hair which flew around my in an uncontrollable whirlwind.

I heard Mika laugh and grinned. My mouth instantly turned dry as I did so, the oncoming breeze taking all moisture from my mouth, so I fell back into my seat and grinned over at Mika, brushing my hair back in hopes to tame the wild mane.

"So, you're future beta." I say and he nods, taking a right turn.

"I am."

"What do Betas even do?" His eyebrows shot up and I feared that it sounded rude so I scrambled to add, "I'm new to all this pack stuff. I was just wondering what exactly a Third In Command and Beta do."

"Oh." He rubs his lip with his index finger and I find myself following the movement before quickly looking away, hoping I wasn't blushing. "Well, Betas are not only the right hand man to the Alpha but they also have a deeper connection with the the pack in a sense."

"And what sense is that?" I question.

"Well, the Alpha will mostly be busy with making treaties, paying the bills, making sure the perimeters are always guarded, that the warrior wolves of the pack are always working out and training, plus they also have to look for opportunities to form an alliance with the neighbouring packs." And they expected me to do all that.

"You've gotta have back up." He says, glancing in the rear view mirror before taking another right turn. "If a stronger and more largely numbered pack wants to pick a fight with you, you gotta be able to have someone you can call for. Someone who can help in the actual fight itself."

"And does the pack have any allies now?" I wonder, sitting up straighter as we idle down A long street, the left side lined with little joined buildings with different things inside. Toys, clothes, food. Anything and everything really.

Mike pulls up to the side walk, hitting the break before pulling the key from the ignition. He turns to me as he twirls the keys between the fingers of his right hand.

"Now? None. We have treaties and stuff but no allies. The alpha - your father - rarely left the pack after the whole ordeal with your parents went down and he didn't invite any neighbouring packs over either. Any alliances we had are gone now."

My expression falls.

He pulls a have that expressed his sympathy and understanding. "He may be an alpha but he's a man too. A man with a broken heart." He opens the door to his side and climbs out. I copy and we are soon walking side by side down the street leaving a group of hovering boys checking out the car in our wake.

"I don't know if you know this but an Alpha is always strongest when he has his-" He glances at me and nudges me lightly with a small smile, trying to lighten the mood. "- or her - mate and their side. Your dad never had that."

I dig my hands into my pockets and look ahead, doing rushing pedestrians as we went.

"He does his best." Mika continues. "And he does pretty damn well, if you ask me. I mean, there are stories, you know about rejection and your mate dying and. . ." He puffs out a breath, shaking his head. "I don't know how he does it."

"They say that getting rejected by your mate is the worse thing that can ever happen to you and that it feels as if your heart has been ripped clean from you chest." I could see the sorrow and slight fear in his eyes as he said this as if thinking of those who it had happened to and praying that he wouldn't be one of them.

I think of Savannah and I find myself praying that it won't happen to me either. I don't know what I'd do if it did.

"Don't tell anyone I said this," Mika voices. I look at him curiously. "But I respect you mom even more."

"You do?" I can't hide my shock.

He rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah. I mean, she managed to raise you all on her own while suffering from a rejection." I flinch and he notices. "In her eyes." He adds hastily. "I'm sure it must've been as painful as any other rejection too."

I expect him to drop it and pick up a new subject but he doesn't. Instead he co tiniest with his list of reasons. "Not only has the Luna managed to keep both of you on your feet but she also managed to keep a stable job and survive life as a rogue. Apparently rogue she wolves are often targeted by rogue males and keep them for themselves and do. . . Unspeakable things to them. And your mom managed to protect the both of you from them and stay under the radar of all the packs while doing it. She's bloody brilliant if you ask me."

I smile. "Yeah." I raise my chin, not hiding the pride I felt for my mother. "She is."

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Okay so this was part one. Part two should be up within the next two weeks. Remember, I love reading you comments. Don't be a ghost reader! I want to hear what you guys have to say and whether you have any suggestions suggestions on wether you want some chapters in different P.O.V's. I'm not a horrid beast, you guys can talk to me if you want!

Remember

Vote

Comment

Share

Love you guys

- C