“Well I’ll see you tonight,” Brandon said, walking past us towards the woods. He didn’t even look once my way as he transformed right in front of us and ran deep into the forest.

“He’s taking it way too hard. Just give him time,” Amos encouraged. He took my hand and led me but my head was still glued to the area where I had last seen Brandon. I felt like there was someone watching me from the woods but I knew more than to think it was Brandon so I finally turned around and let Amos lead me.

“Amos? Gracie? Is that you?” my mom’s voice echoed through the front hallway but I didn’t even recognize it. Elaborate decorations were thrown everywhere but it seemed to fit altogether.

“Yeah mom! We’re home!” Amos shouted with his cupped hands. I still needed time to adjust to big homes. It seemed so awkward and huge compared to the tight and small, cramp places Derek and I were forced to live in.

“Hey honey. Get ready. The guests are coming soon,” my mom said, excited. She smiled with her apron around her waist but it didn’t look like she was cooking.

“Mom, you know you’re supposed to wear that if you’re the one cooking. I don’t think helping out in the kitchen requires you to have the apron,” Amos laughed, taking off his backpack.

“Hey! Don’t put it down here mister. Take them to your room. You too, Gracie,” my mom smiled, looking at me as if it was the first and last time she’ll ever see me.

“Yes mom,” I replied curtly, not knowing how else to respond.

“Guests will be here soon,” my mom reminded me. I still had no idea what was going on and was dying for an answer.

“We have parties every now and then just for our pack but mom usually forgets to inform us on when that exactly is,” Amos said in an all-knowing tone, giving mom a look. Mom just laughed and smiled, playfully smacking Amos.

“When you get older you’ll understand it’s easier to forget.”

“I would know,” I mumbled, feeling embarrassed that I actually said it. My mom turned red and looked away. The bell suddenly rang, informing us the first guest had already arrived.

“Ah! I’m not in my evening gown. You two go upstairs and I will have to get ready too. Gracie, your dress will already be on your bed,” she said hastily before rushing down the hallway, making sure all the attendants were ready to serve.

“Come on sis. Don’t want to leave you hanging,” Amos grinned. I saw him already halfway up the stairs and rushed to catch up to him but he technically cheated because he went up the stairs, two steps per stride.

“Do you always have parties like this?” I asked, looking around. The expense must have been so great that it was hard to understand how people would spend so much just to throw a party.

“Mom and dad like to have it big but it’s extra big for your return so enjoy,” he smiled. I tried to smile back before we went off on our own to get dressed.

Just as my mom had instructed there was a single dress on my bed. I carefully picked it up, surprised to find it a combination of soft silk and cotton. I glided my hand over the dress, feeling guilty about how much it probably cost.

“Where is the princess?” a deep voiced asked, amused but interested.

My daughter will come out when she’s ready. For now I should show you to the ballroom,” my dad’s voice boomed, making it clear for anyone that there would be no arguments.

“Of course Alpha Awbrey,” the man chuckled. “Hopefully she will not be a disgrace in the Awbrey bloodline like your son is.”

“Daniel!” a voice snapped loudly. “Mind your manners boy.”