Chapter Three

Hey for those of you reading! Bleh, I haven't gotten much views but it's totally fine because you're reading this(:

Well, I hope you enjoy Derek's POV. It's a short one but hopefully next few Chapters will be surprising. We have another character in this one. Tell me what you think ;D

Gracie seemed a little out of it when we entered the principal’s office. I tried using my special ability to look into her thoughts and her memory to scourge for her past but when I touched her but there was still that odd blockage that’s been there since the first time I met her.

Getting the principal to agree with my wishes was fairly easy but getting Gracie to focus and not zone off was pretty hard. Throughout the entire day it seemed like she was in her own little world. I guess it was one of those teenage daydreaming. Maybe she met a cute boy or something.

Jealously flooded me. Come on, she was like my freaking sister. I was crazy to think that but ever since I found her in the woods that September day, there was something definitely different about her. Not trying to sound like a pedophile but she had me intrigued. Curious at first but as time passed, my feelings became a little more…evolved.

I left everything for her. I was on top of the world with everything at my command but I left it all to my second in command when I found Gracie. I knew she wouldn’t fit in well the vampire world since she was a werewolf so all I could do was let her live as much as she could as a normal human.

“What are you thinking about?” Gracie caught me in my thoughts. I looked at her, surprised that she was out of her dreaming state.

“I could ask you the same question. You were all out of it ever since we visited the school.” She crossed her arms in the car and looked out the window. We were on our way to school that morning and it started raining again. Apparently she thought the raindrops trickling down the window were more interesting than me. Was it possible to be jealously of a raindrop?

“I saw the boy from my flashback,” she said quietly. A chill went up my body. Someone she knew was here. This was one step from finding her real family. Something I’ve been trying to do all eight years since I found her.

“The one with the blue eyes or the grey eyes?” I asked, pressing her to talk more. Any information would help.

“The blue eyed boy but he’s not a boy anymore. Maybe around your age. I mean he looks like your age but probably not your age since you’re…” she trailed on, hoping I’d finish for her. No way would I tell her how old I was. I was practically ancient.

“I’m not telling,” I teased, chuckling at her pouting face. “We’re here.” I pulled into the student parking lot and got out with my backpack slung over my shoulder. Another high school, another town.

“What’s my schedule?” Gracie asked me. I took out both of ours and we entered the school. The warning bell just rang, signaling us we’d be late if we didn’t move it.

“Will you be fine?” I asked. I wish I looked younger so I could be in her year but I was barely passing as a senior already. Better not push how far my compulsion would go.

“Yes. I won’t get into too much trouble this time,” she promised but I was worried. Trouble followed us everywhere.

We said our good-byes and I went to my first period which happened to P.E. It was one of those classes that I thought was absolutely necessary to have. Although I love education, being fit was equally as important. You can’t have a healthy mind unless you have a healthy body.

“Hey, new boy!” a voice called out. I turned around ready for insults or rude comments. I often faced them when there were girls flocking around me. Jocks had a tendency to ‘bully’ me when their ‘girls’ were around me but they were the ones who ended up beaten up. I promised Gracie I wouldn’t do it again but it was tempting. The time when I chose to live the human world with Gracie was the first time I have ever attempted to change my violent style of life and try something more subtle, more civil.

“Yes?” I said as politely as I could and faced a boy who was as tall as me which was pretty tall in my case. He had prominent cheekbones and his hair was thick with slight curls that reminded me of a cascading waterfall. He had bright blue eyes and I couldn’t help but gasp. Was this the boy Gracie was talking about?

“Hi. I just wanted to introduce myself,” he smiled, finally catching up to me. “Want to play basketball?” He held out a basketball but I wasn’t interested. What I was more interested in was how to make contact with him so I could get a hold of his mind and his memories.

“I would love to play,” I said and took the basketball from him, letting our arms touch on purpose. Memories zapped into my head, too many things at once but one thing stuck out of the rest. There was a baby girl with clear blue eyes and then it skipped to when she was about eight. They were playing in the woods with the grey eyed boy when gunshots filled the air. The boy was running but the girl was down. He was too scared to do anything except run back home. The young couple with the same blue eyes that Gracie described panicked and ran to the woods but the girl was gone and all that was left was a pool of blood.

“You-“ I said, dropping the basketball.

“Is something wrong?” the boy asked, confused. His intentions of becoming my friend were true but all he wanted to do was see Gracie again.

“What’s your name?” I asked, putting back my façade.

“Amos,” he replied. “Amos Awbrey.”

So her last name was Awbrey. “Well, let’s play your game then,” I said casually. I had to act somewhat normal. I would talk to him after P.E if I could.

He introduced me to a couple of his friends and we played three on three. As the game progressed I learned one thing for sure. They were all werewolves and there were probably more throughout the area. Maybe this really was Gracie’s pack.

After a nice quick shower in the locker room, I put on my normal clothing and walked to my next class since I couldn’t find Amos. Several girls in the hallway passed by me, giving me interested looks but I learned to ignore them. Every person who casually brushed me through the hallway, I got a scent that they were all werewolves. I smelled a couple vampires but the werewolf population was overpopulating.

“Hey Derek,” a friendly voice greeted.

“Gracie,” I breathed, thankful that she was next to me. I was beginning to get worried that something might’ve happened to her. “There are werewolves everywhere.”

“Yeah, they’ve all been giving me weird looks. I even heard some people whispering about werewolves,” she said amazed. We haven’t really met any other werewolves or vampires and it was often a very short time.

“Master Derek!” A tall, pale figure that towered the rest of the crowd came up to me. “What are you doing in Seattle? Isn’t your mansion and your government back in Michigan?” I recognized him in one of the Council meetings. His name was Julius but that was all I knew. He also just broke my undercover.

“Master? Mansion? Government? Michigan?” Gracie said, confused. I suddenly spotted Amos Awbrey coming towards us with a look of determination. There wasn’t enough time to explain everything to her. Everything was about to get all tied up.

“Uh, nothing Gracie,” I said, hastily, still keeping an eye on Amos who was pushing through the crowd of people.

“Nothing?! You’re the king of the vampires. Why on earth would you be in Washington of all places?” Julius asked aloud and some people gave us crazed looks while others began to notice who I really was.

“King? What’s going on Derek?” Gracie asked nervously.

“Hey, Derek,” Amos said, finally joining our little reunion group. Well, it couldn’t get any worse so I decided to state the fact that would bring all hell to break loose. Better late than never.

I pulled Amos into our circle for Gracie to see. “Gracie, your brothers here.”