Wings

Cas fell into my arms as I finished cutting the ropes. "Oh, God." I felt sick. He was bleeding from a wound on his head and on his chest. His shirt was soaked with it and my hands were already covered with red. There was a ton of feathers around the room and the chair. Then I noticed his wings.
     I sucked in a breath. I've never seen Cas's wings before, except their silhouette, if that's what it is. They were jet black, with feathers missing everywhere. There was a huge gash at the joint of his right wing. It looked newer than some of his other cuts. I could tell it was still bleeding. I had no idea how much blood he had lost, probably too much to be good.
"We need to get him back to the bunker," I said to Sam who was standing behind me. I fished the car keys out of my pocket and tossed them to him. "Here, you drive and I'll stay with Cas in the back seat." Sam nodded. I was surprisingly calm. "You can carry him ok?" Sam asked. "Yeah, I'll manage. You go ahead, make sure everything's clear and start the car." He lingered for a second then walked away with a gun and flashlight in hand.
     I knelt with Cas for another minute then I slowly stood with him still in my arms. I carefully repositioned him so his wings weren't scrunched up against my body. His eyelids fluttered open a crack then closed again. I saw a glimpse of blue beneath them. By the time I got to the Impala a few minutes later I was already exhausted from carrying Cas. He's a lot heavier than he looks. Sam already had the car started and the back seat door open for me. I carefully eased Cas into the back and went and sat down beside him. As Sam started pulling away from the warehouse, I put an arm across Cas's chest to prevent him from sliding forward.
     "How long till we get back to the bunker?" I asked Sam. "Not too long," he replied. "30 minutes at the most. The roads aren't in very good shape with all the rain." He paused. "Cas should be fine until we get back." "I hope," I muttered. I still had my arm across his chest. I didn't take it off.

***

20 minutes later we were back at the bunker. Cas was finally starting to regain consciousness. "Dean..." He murmured. I saw Sam give a quick glance at us in the mirror before he got out. I carefully pulled Cas out of the back seat and into my arms after I got out. He was mumbling and his eyes were twitching underneath his eyelids as we walked (were carried) back to the bunker.
I could make out a few words here and there. "Dean...wings...grace...Dean...hurts."
"Shhhh. It's okay, Cas. You'll be fine," I said quietly. The tips of his wings were dragging on the ground.
     "Where should we put him?" Sam asked as we got into the bunker. "I'll just lay him on my bed for now." "How should I put him down?" I asked once we got to my room. "I don't really want to put him on his back because of  his wings but I can't really put him on his stomach cause of all the gashes there." "Maybe try putting him a little on his side?" Sam said. I carefully laid Cas on his side and sat facing him, Sam sat beside me. I took Cas's hand. If Sam noticed, he didn't say anything.
    It was quiet except for Cas mumbling. It was the same words over and over. "Wings...hurts...empty...Dean...grace." I shushed him and pushed his hair back from his head. Sam definitely noticed this. I didn't care.
     It was quiet for another few minutes while I looked down at the floor, still holding Cas's hand.
     Panicked thoughts entered my mind. "What if he never wakes up? What if he's in a coma? What if-" my thoughts were cut short by someone tightly squeezing my hand. "Dean," Cas said weakly. I looked up and was lost in a sea of blue.