Chapter Four - Photoshoot

My alarm goes off. It's 7:00 am, and the sun lights up my entire bedroom though the lights aren't even on yet. I lie there blank for a little bit, and then I smirk as I remember what Justin told me over the phone last night. I imagined him shirtless and holding me by my waist as his girlfriend and staring at my chest in my bikini and letting me know how hot I looked. Just one of those scenarios where you want everything to go well. But eventually, I forced myself to sit up and stretch my arms and get out of bed. I was going to be late for my Marie Claire photoshoot! I quickly threw my hair in a bun, took a shower, dried off, put on a t-shirt and skinny jeans and a motorcycle jacket and booties, picked up my pink and black gingham crossbody purse, and head downstairs to feed the cats and put fresh water in their dishes before racing out the door. I walked a few blocks before I reached the downtown part of L.A. and there were a bunch of cabs in the notorious L.A. traffic. I decided to swing by Starbucks real quick  for an energy shot. I ordered my usual but this time in large size since it was the morning of the Marie Claire photoshoot. I also hit up the McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin before waving a cab not too far away.  got in and told the cab driver to Marie Claire's headquarters. And he started driving me to my destination. I sat there and ate my food and drank my coffee. I then realized that it was a good time to check my phone. I pulled out my phone with the Hello Kitty case and check my Twitter. 

I follow back some fans who request a Follow Back, and I tweet, "My photoshoot for Marie Claire magazine is THIS MORNING!!! I hope u love the pics

I follow back some fans who request a Follow Back, and I tweet, "My photoshoot for Marie Claire magazine is THIS MORNING!!! I hope u love the pics. :))" When the taxi driver makes a stop at a red light, I take a swig at my coffee and continue finishing my McMuffin. Then I remembered that I was seeing Justin in less than a week! It was only Tuesday, and how I wished that Saturday would just hurry up and come.

When I arrived to Marie Claire magazine headquarters, I paid the driver with a $20 dollar bill (the fare was $18.85)  and gave him my blessing to keep the change. I hopped out and walked into the tall, glamorous and prestigious building. The receptionist, a young, fair skinned woman with gorgeous auburn hair notices me walk in and sits up and greets me as I walk up to the desk. "Ah, you must be the amazing Latara! My name is Cynthia." she says as she shakes my hand."Um, yeah!" I say, nervously and flattered. "Are you nervous about the shoot?" "Well, yeah. I just want it to go well. But I am quite excited! I just want the world to finally get to know me and all that I stand for." "Well, that's what Marie Claire mag is all about - showcasing today's influential young women, and all women and girls as a whole,  in a positive light. " she says. "The actual photo shoot is going to be tomorrow. Today, they're just going to be interviewing you, a video interview and they're going to be asking you about stuff like your interests, hobbies, past achievements, humble beginnings, relationships and whatnot." Cynthia goes on. Well, I hope it goes well for you, Latara!" "Well, thank you, Cynthia!" Then she shows me where the lounge is. As I'm walking down there, I am recognized and greeted by Marie Claire staff and I give out hugs. Then I find the lounge and I open the door and there's a camera a few feet away from me. I sit down in the dim lighted room on the couch. A shapely African American woman in her late 20s to early 30s asks me, "Is there anything you'd like to drink before the interview, honey?" "Oh, just water. Thanks!" And then, well, you know, they interview me, ask me questions and it doesn't take me that long to let loose.

The following day, I'm on the rooftop of a building and they have me wear a light pink blouse and it's tucked into my magenta dress shorts that showed a little bit of my ass cheeks and I'm wearing magenta oxford high heels.  My hair is up in a high bubble pony and I looked and felt great. The only problem? I had never done a photoshoot for a magazine before. Much less a popular magazine. Much less, on top of a fucking SKYSCRAPER. So I was scared shitless. The photographer, Jason Kibbler, bellows out, "Come on, Latara - you'll be great!!!" "Oh my God! I'm wearing high heels, and this rooftop isn't fenced...... I'm gonna fall to my DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"Cynthia and a few other staff members are looking on. Cynthia says, "Come on, Latara! No one likes a quitter. And if you want to be a role model to all and if you want to be successful, it's all about putting on a brave face! "  Suddenly, I hear Justin's song "Confident" was playing. "Just imagine he's singing about you, Latara!" Then I smirk and go on with the photoshoot.  The more I posed for those pictures, the harder it was for me to stop! And the fact that I was hearing Justin sing, "She's confident, oh no no, oh no no" contributed to it being easier for me. Suddenly, I was unstoppable, and best of all, Justin loves that quality in women. :)