Chapter Three - The Phone Call

Hailey and I head out to the now vacant parking lot with our Deb Shops, Wet Seal, Garage, The Body Shop, delia's and Victoria's Secret bags. We had been there for about six hours, so naturally it was pitch black out. We load the bags into the trunk, and the rest are placed into the back seat. Hailey's phone goes off. She pulls the phone out of her pocked and looks at it. "Latara, I just got a text from Justin."

"What is he saying?" 

" 'What's up?' "  Hailey starts typing and responds and sends the text. "What did you say?"

" 'I'm with Latara.' "

Hailey opens the front door and into the driver's seat, and I get back into the shotgun passenger's seat. She then turns the key into the ignition and pulls out.

Moments later, as she's driving me home, her phone goes off again. "Latara, could you get that for me? It wouldn't be smart for me to text and drive, you know?" I pick up the iPhone 6 and on the screen it says "Message From Justin". I open it, and Hailey asks "What did Justin say?" 

" 'Really? Oh, I vaguely remember her. She was that sweet young lady who would follow me everywhere. How is she?' "  "Awwww!" Hailey and I both say in unison.

"What should I do?" I wasn't sure what to write back, or if I should pretend to be Hailey responding or not to even respond at all, cause it was her phone. "Um, just write back a heart emoji." So I did.

After a minute or two, Hailey's phone goes off again.

"Should I open it?"

"Yes!"

"I read it out loud: " 'It's been forever since I've seen her. How is she?' "   "AWWWWWWWWW!!!" we both say again. I'm thrilled that Justin asked about me. "Okay, just write back, 'Good. She's been asking about you  and waiting for you to log back onto your MeetMe account for over a year!' " I wrote exactly that and hit the Send button. "Hey, Latara, should we call him? It'd be much easier. We can put him on Loudspeaker hands free."

CALL him?!?!?! Oh my God, I was so anxious

CALL him?!?!?! Oh my God, I was so anxious. It had been forever since I talked to him. On top of that, I wasn't sure if he wanted to talk to *me*.  And the way she offered me to talk on the phone with him was so mundane. As though she didn't realize I was about to talk to the motherfucking LOVE OF MY LIFE AGAIN after a whole fucking YEAR AND A HALF. "Uh-uh-uhhhmmmmmmmm.... sure...!" I say stupidly while shaking my head involuntarily like a nincompoop. When Hailey stopped at a red light at the intersection, she quickly dialed Justin's number and placed it onto the little cell phone holder by the dashboard. My heart was beating out of my chest, nervous with anticipation as we were listening to it ring. Anxious about how things were going to turn out and hopeful it would go well. That was all I could think about. "Oh, shit..." I blurt. Hailey quickly rubs my shoulder, basically saying that I had nothing to worry about. The ringing noise stops and we hear static. "Hello?"

"Hi, Justin! It's me. Listen, my friend here hasn't heard from you or interacted with you in any way for the past year and a half, so do you have a minute or two?" "Um, sure!"  Enthusiasm is in his voice. I was glad he was willing to, and a little less nervous. "Uhmmm, hello?"

"Hello, who is this?"

" Umm..... it's me, Latara."

"Oh, hey! How have you been?"

"Good, and how are you? If you don't mind me asking."

"Better. I've been doing a lot better these days. Just things have been really hectic lately with the tour and the other projects. But not too bad."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that."  Then there's an awkward ten seconds of silence.

"Latara.... are you still there?"

"Yes, yes I am......" Then I just spat it out. "Justin, I don't know.... I really miss you more than anything, and ever since the last time we saw eachother on the New Years before this past New Years, a huge part of me has just been missing..... Justin, not only did your absence hurt enough but I didn't like seeing you hanging out with and flirting with other women and with all the pandemonium, I thought that you might have forgotten about me. I'm not trying to tap into your senses and make you feel guilty....."

"Latara, you are a wonderful young lady. And I've always appreciated it when you would stay by me despite all of the bullshit I've done and that you never treated me like a celebrity. I could always tell that I wasn't 'Justin Bieber' to you - to you I was 'Justin'. Yes, all of that was going on in 2015, but I never forgot about you. You are one of my best friends."

I  was flattered hearing those words from Justin to me. I couldn't believe it. I have a special place in this amazing, talented, unusual, and handsome man's heart.

"Latara, I really....... I don't know how else to tell you this."

Hailey and I exchange surprised expressions, because it sounded like Justin was going to make some major confession.

"You couldn't have picked a better time to call because........I really want to see you soon, Latara."

It all seemed surreal. Still driving, Hailey look over at me and whispered, "You should take him up on that offer." I tried not to sound too enthusiastic because Justin's life is already loud and crazy as is. And, like I said, he wants his friends to treat him like a normal human being, not this huge star. Struggling but succeeding to contain my ecstaticness, I answer in a squeaky whisper, "Yes..."

"Oh, my God! I can't wait!!!!" Justin gushes, sounding genuinely excited. It's an awesome feeling that he cannot wait to see me also. "There's actually going to be a pool party and barbecue at Khalil's this coming Saturday. I really want you to come, and I'm not taking no for an answer...."

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes time a million!"

"Awesome! But before I arrive, I have to run a few errands first. Do you know how you're going to get there?"

Hailey chimes in, "I'll take her. We'll both be there."

"Great! So we're all cool. I can't wait to see two of my best friends.  I gotta go. I have to get some sleep and get ready for my concert tomorrow."

"Okay, I understand. " I said.

"We can't wait to see you either, Justin!" says Hailey.

"Awwe . I love you both."

"We love you, too!" Hailey responded.

"I love you, Justin." I blurted out.

"I love you too, Latara! Bye!"

Then he hangs up. After a moment of silence , Hailey asks me, "Sounded like Justin was asking you out....."

"You really think so, Hails?"

"Come on now, Latara. It's a POOL PARTY. There are going to be ladies there in their bikinis! Not to mention, Justin is very selective with the people he adds to his circle. Especially the women. Justin has a tendency to be VERY picky......." I nodded. It resonated with me that I might be in luck. That this might be the time "Justara" happened for real.  :)