Questions

As I opened my eyes I was greeted by a lot of sunlight coming through a nearby window, suggesting that another day had already begun a couple of hours ago. Turning my head towards a little alarm clock that I happened to see in the corner of my eye, I noticed that it was already 11am - which was way too late to go to university, meaning I'd have to repeat the entire stuff from today later on.

Shiiit.. I should've set that alarm clock to ring at 8am.

Now I'll have to do twice as much today.. Man that sucks..

A sigh escaped my lips, capturing someone's attention.

"Oh, I see you're awake. Good morning" the old man spoke to me from afar.

He's here?

Oh.. does that mean I'm at the café?

I slowly sat up to face him, he was sitting on the couch Touka was supposed to sleep on.

My shoulder was - of course - still hurting, so I tried to move rather slow and carefully.

"Morning" I murmured.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked as he turned his head towards me, a kind smile spread all over his face.

"Uh.. uhm.. Y-yes.. I guess" I replied.

"Even though we're ghouls?" he joked.

Not funny..

The realization made my heart race again and I sighed.

After all I was only comfortable with the young girl around, but she wasn't here.. It was only this old man - who was probably a lot more powerful than Touka.. So I considered him dangerous, even though he seemed to be kind and harmless.

"Aah- I was just joking. We won't hurt you" he announced.

Of course... - They really need to stop saying that.. It makes them sound like liars.

I stayed silent, trying to calm myself again.

"Renji saved you last night"

Renji saved me?

Oh.. that's strange

"Surprised? You know.. He saved you before" he added.

"Mhm.."

"He was the one sliding the letter through your door all those months ago" he informed.

So he let me know that Uta and Itori planned on eating me..?

My sight dropped to the ground because it did bother me a lot knowing that he saved me - twice already.

Why does my life matter to him? It's not like I'm someone special.. At least I don't remember to be one.