Chapter Twelve: The Midnight Flower and A New Relationship

I sit in the garden of the Institute and I look at the sky. It's almost midnight and the Midnight Flowers will come and show their beauty. I've watched them ever since I moved here from Idris after my parents were murdered by demons that were sent from Valentine. Jace had shown me the first night I had came here. I've seen them ever since.

I looked at my watch. Five more minutes. Someone came and sat right beside me. Jace. "Maia's here." He says.

"Oh. To see Alec?" I ask.

"Yeah, and us. She almost killed Hodge." He gave a slight laugh.

I laugh and I look back up at the stars. 

"It's midnight." Jace says.

My head snaps down and I see beautiful pink flowers emerge from hiding. I pick one up and I snif it. It smells like raspberries and rosemary.

"Hayley?" Jace asks me.

"Yeah?" I spin the flower between my fingers. 

"I think . . . I love you." He whispers. 

"How do I know you're not just rebounding me? That's happened to me before, ya know." I say. I pick up another flower. 

"I'm not rebounding you." He says to me.

"Okay, then. Because I think I love you too. When those girls in the hallways were talking to you I was so freaking jealous!" I put down the flower and turn to face him.

Jace laughs and pulls me closer to him. "Will you be my girlfriend?" He grinned that cocky grin.

"Totally." I nod and smile. 

We kiss. This time I don't stiffen up. His tongue tastes of strawberries and pineapples. I run my fingers through his golden hair and I go even closer to him. This time, this kiss feels right.