Chapter 35: Family Reunion

My mother clutched her heart in shock and she turned a ghostly pale color as she spotted father and I. A small gasp escaped me as I stared back. A part of me wanted to rush into her arms and hold her close but the other wanted to run and never come back.

"May we come in," Michel asked and my mother nodded without even looking at him. I don't think she even heard what he said. Michel gently placed an arm around her shoulder before leading her inside. I followed quietly, looking up at my father whose eyes seemed to shine as he saw my mother for the first time in years. After the 4 of us had sat down in the well-furnished sitting room, my father finally opened his mouth to speak.

"Maria I'm sorry, I really am. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that that night, and I definitely shouldn't have hid Lisa from you. I just didn't want to lose you but that's exactly what happened anyway. I just wanted to apologize. I'm not expecting your forgiveness but I had to say it anyway," he said in a pleading tone. My mother glanced up at him with a sad smile on her face before speaking.

"I've moved on James and I've already forgiven you," she whispered just as another man came into the study room. He was tall and handsome with big brown eyes and dusty brown hair that stuck up in odd directions. His eyes widened as he took in my father and then me.

"James this is my husband, Robert this is James," she said and I looked at my father who looked slightly heart broken before shaking the other man's hand. A part of me couldn't really hurt for him though, because she had done the right thing and moved on. It was only fair.

"Robert could you give us a minute," she asked and he nodded before leaving the room. The silence was deafening.

"I think I'll wait outside," Father said before leaving the room after one last glance at my mother. As soon as he'd left, my mother turned her attention to me.

"Why are you here darling?"

Why was I here? I'd initially wanted to see her and find our why she'd left and perhaps solve the problem and make her return home. Clearly, that wasn't going to happen. I realized that when she had moved on from my father, she had also moved on from me. I did love the woman sitting before me but I didn't really know her. In our own ways, we'd both moved on and I realized that I'd only come here for closure.

"I came here to tell you I love you and that I've moved on as well. I still love you but I know I don't belong here," I said in an even voice. She seemed to tear up slightly at my words but I knew that she understood, after all she was still my mother.

"So you won't be staying here," she asked. I shook my head and gave her a light kiss on the cheek before leaving with Michel. Outside, my father was waiting with a sad smile on his face. I looked between him and Michel before throwing my arms around Michel, planting my lips against his. He seemed stunned and kissed me softly before drawing back, looking at me with an amused expression.

"Take me home, Michel." He grinned and swung me up into his arms, looking like the happiest man alive.