Chapter 9: The Boys' Mother

Michel's mother was a short plump lady who seemed to be in her early thirties. She had long brown hair, which she had swept up in to a bun, and startling blue eyes a shade lighter than Michel's. Despite her plump figure, she was very beautiful.

"Mother, this is Emma. Emma, this is Lisa, my mother," said Jack as he looked between the 2 of us before sharing a glance with his brother.

"It's nice to meet you ma'am," I said before extending a hand to her, which she took immediately.

"So what brings you here Emma?"

I fidgeting slightly as I tried to think of a response but thankfully, Michel intervened.

"She's come to visit some of her folks here." I shot him a grateful look, which he returned with a small smile. I could tell he wasn't happy with lying though.

Lisa nodded before stepping forward to embrace her 2 sons and then stepping aside to let us into the house. Inside, the house was rather sparsely furnished and of low lighting. To my left was the sitting room, which had a few sofas and a bookcase next to the walls that was overflowing with books. On the right was a set of stairs, most likely leading up to the bedrooms. In front of us was a hallway leading into a medium sized kitchen and a small dining table. To the left of the kitchen was another slightly larger sitting area furnished with a few armchairs and a grand fireplace that was currently in use.

"Michel, please show Emma to her bedroom."

Michel nodded towards his mother before gesturing to me to follow him upstairs. As we left, I could here Jack telling his mother about me. Hopefully he was only saying good things. I glanced away from them and focused on what was upstairs. There were a total of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in sight. The house was actually quite big I realized. Michel led me to the bedroom furthest down the hallway.

"This is where you'll be staying for however long you're here," he said and placed my bags at the corner of the room. The room was around the same size as my room at home with a small bed, a bedside table and a lamp. It also had a small bookcase lined with rows and rows of books and a fireplace as well. It was very cozy and warm.

"Thank you, for letting me stay here," I said.

"Anytime." I gave him a small smile before he opened his mouth to say something but closed it again in a hurry, his hands raking through his black hair. My hands itched to do the same but the moment passed by too soon as his arm dropped back to his side.

"Are you sure you'll be able to find your way downstairs in the morning," he said in a slightly teasing tone. I glared at him and he laughed before leaving, quietly shutting the door behind him.