Chapter 19: When Money Exchanges Hands

As soon as we'd entered, Michel had left me with Lisa and Jack and disappeared to get us drinks. Jack went to introduce me to Mr. and Mrs. Richardson. They were both around there 40s with slightly greying hair and sunken eyes. Mrs. Richardson had a severe looking face with a sharp nose and small grey eyes. Her lips were full and she had a quite thin figure, which she accentuated with a well-fitted red gown.

"Did you by any chance invite a Maria to this party ma'am," asked Jack in a polite voice. She shook her head and I almost felt ashamed as I felt relief pass through me.

"Why do you ask mister?"

"Oh no reason," he said quickly before leading me away from her.

"I'm sorry she isn't here," he said sincerely.

"That's okay."

"I'm going to go find Michel," I said before releasing Jack's arm and weaving myself through the crowd. He'd disappeared more than 15 minutes ago to go get drinks. How long did it take? I looked through the crowds and finally spotted him in a small alcove with his back to me, facing another much older man. I started to move towards them but stopped when Michel took out a small amount of money and handed it to the other man who took it greedily. They then exchanged a few words before the older man walked away. Michel turned around and ran a hand through his hair before disappearing off, probably to the drinks counter. I watched his disappearing back with narrow eyes wondering whom the man had been. Was this part of some trade or was it something more.

"There you are." I looked up to find Michel making his way towards me with a few drinks in hand. He handed me one before shutting my eyes with one of his hands.

"Michel what are you doing?" He shushed me and placed something in my hair before taking his hand away. His hand caressed my face as I raked my hand through my hair and felt a soft flower petal tucked in to my bun. I looked up and smiled at him and he smiled back, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. I would have to ask him who the man had been after we returned home.

"Would you like to dance," he asked.

I nodded and he took my hand and led me on to the dance floor.