Chapter 10: Settling In

A soft knock at the door woke me up from a good night's sleep. The fireplace had been working throughout most of the night but it had still been quite cold. I climbed out of bed and slipped on my slippers just as the door opened revealing Jack.

"Oh god sorry," he said before turning away and facing the fireplace. I realized I was very a very thin nightgown that didn't even reach my knees. A small blush spread across my cheeks and I looked up to find Jack looking slightly flustered as well. He seemed to be all dressed for the day apart from his hair, which was still slightly tousled.

"Breakfast is ready," he said before quickly leaving and shutting the door behind him. I laughed slightly at how flustered he'd been before taking a quick shower and changing into a white day dress that just reached my knees. I put my hair up into a bun and fastened a silver chain around my neck before heading downstairs, thankfully not getting lost on the way.

Downstairs, the dining table held a variety of pastries, breads and cereals as well as an assortment of beverages. At the head of the table was Lisa, who gave me a small smile as I entered the room before continuing to eat. I realized that Michel was nowhere in sight. Noticing my searching eyes, Jack came up to me.

"He's gone for work," he said before seating himself beside his mother. Ignoring the slight pang of disappointment, I seated myself across from Jack and piled my plate with whatever the table had to offer.

After a delicious meal, Lisa insisted I accompany her into the gardens to do some gardening. After changing into an old pair of pants and a collared shirt I followed her out, feeling quite excited. It had been awhile since I'd done any gardening. Jack had left soon after breakfast and informed me that he'd be home with Michel before dinner.

"Grab that pitcher Emma," said Lisa and the 2 of us knelt down into the dirt to begin work. That was when a sudden idea struck me.

"Do you know of a woman named Maria," I asked hoping to get some answers about my mother.

"No darling but you can inquire about her at the market on Sunday," she suggested. That was wonderful idea. There was also a good chance that my mother may even come to the market on Sunday. The thought of seeing her again put a huge smile on my face.

"Why are you looking for her Emma?"

"No reason." She raised her eyebrows at me before continuing her work in silence.