Chapter 11: Revealing the Truth

It was round 8:00 in the evening when the boys came back home. After giving his mother a small peck on the cheek, Jack continued inside but Michel lingered behind us, his legs lightly grazing my back.

"You love gardening too," he asked as he knelt down beside me in the dirt. Our shoulders were touching slightly sending sparks throughout my whole body.

"Yes," I replied slightly breathily.

"I was wondering if you could help we out with the animals sometime," he asked in a nervous tone. I looked up to find his face barely inches away from mine. Soot covered most of his face but his blue eyes were as bright as always as they locked on to my green ones. He swallowed hard and shifted slightly, positioning himself even closer. His warm breath fanned across my face and his lips were curved up in a small smile as he waited for my reply.

"I would love to."

He grinned before getting up, dusting himself off and following his brother into the house. I turned away from his retreating figure and ran a finger through my hair when I felt something in it. Pulling it out, I realized it was a small red rose that had just bloomed in this garden. I blushed slightly and looked up to the front door where Michel was standing with a small smirk on his face before retreating into the house. I smiled to myself as I placed the rose back into my hair; trying to ignore the peculiar look that Michel's mother was now giving me.

After a relaxing meal of soup and stew, I made my way upstairs to my bedroom but stopped abruptly in my tracks when I saw Michel leaning against the door of it. He didn't look nearly as amused as he had been in the garden and his hair was sticking up at odd angles as if he had run his hands through it repeatedly.

"Michel, what are you doing here?"

"Why did you come here Emma," he asked in a low but determined voice. I knew from his tone that I would have to tell him the truth or he wouldn't leave.

"You were almost close to tears when my mother agreed to let you call her mother and you barely ate anything after that. What's wrong Emma," he said in a pleading tone. It still shocked me, how easily he was able to pick on my emotions and feelings. It was also slightly unnerving. Michel took a few steps towards me and took my hands in his.

"Please let me help you." The desperation in his voice stopped me from giving him whatever lie I'd been meaning to give him next. I told him the whole story, starting all the way back to 4 years ago and ending at our first meeting. He listened quietly the whole time, not interrupting me even or letting go of my hands. At the end of my story, he dropped my hands and moved forward to cup my face. His eyes were earnest and sincere and his fingers lightly rubbed my cheekbones before he spoke.

"We will find your mother Emma, you can stay here for however long it takes,"

He leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on my forehead before releasing me and returning to his bedroom. As soon as he left, the cold engulfed me. I tried to steady my rapid heartbeat as my mind memorized his smoky scent and the sincerity of his words. I could have been standing there for seconds or hours before I finally entered my own bedroom and fell into a dreamless sleep.