Chapter 6: Picnics with Strangers

According to Jack, the ride to Brampton would take approximately 4 hours if we only took one stop along the way for lunch. After bickering for the first hour, the 3 of us had fallen into a comfortable silence. The day was shaping out to be beautiful as the sun was out and a slight breeze was in the air. Nevertheless, by noon it was starting to get extremely hot and I felt sweat gathering at the base of neck and dripping down my back.

"Would you like to stop now," asked Jack as we passed another clearing.

"That would be great."

We decided to stop and have a picnic lunch at the next clearing. The boys had brought a striped picnic blanket with them and a huge picnic basket full of sandwiches, fruits and drinks.

"How much food do you need," I asked before settling myself on the blanket between Jack and Michel.

"A lot," they both replied simultaneously before devouring the food before them like starved animals. I laughed and ate my own sandwich a lot more slowly, watching the 2 of them in amusement. After a full meal, the three of us laid back on the blanket as the heat slowly starting fading away.

"Why are you guys taking me with you?" The question had been on my mind for quite a while but I'd never addressed it.

"It was Jack's idea."

I turned to face Jack who seemed like he was slowly starting to drift off. He turned and fixed his greenish eyes on me.

"I don't know. I just felt like we had a bond and that I could trust you."

"Ha that's what he says to all the ladies," said Michel and I laughed before lying on my back again. I had assumed he had take pity on me and invited me along.

"I'm serious," said Jack, as he looked at me with a gaze so intense I had to look away.

"Well thank you," I said before settling back more comfortably in the blanket.

The three of us settled into a comfortable silence and as the wind begin to caress my cheek; I felt my eyes begin to droop with exhaustion due to the various events that had occurred throughout the day. The last thing I thought about before I closed my eyes was a pair of dark blue eyes.