Chapter 27: An Embarrassing Carriage Ride

At 6:30 the whole family assembled outside to leave to the theatre. Jack, Michel, Lisa and I would be riding in one while the others adjusted themselves in the others. Michel watched me in amusement as I tried to get on to the carriage and failed thanks to my ankle. I was keenly aware of other members of the family watching as well and ducked my head to avoid any attention. Michel grinned before scooping me up into his arms and climbing on himself. So much for avoiding attention I thought and blushed red as I noticed his grandparents watching us with a slight smile on their faces before they climbed onto their own carriage.

"Next time you need help, just ask. I don't mind carrying you," he said with a wink. I rolled my eyes at him before he gently placed me down on the seat. Lisa and Jack sat across from us, the latter wearing a teasing smile on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him and he raised his hands up in surrender before looking away. Lisa looked slightly disapproving but she didn't say anything. Just as we were about to leave, Sarah and Adam came rushing up to the side of our carriage, seeming slightly out of breath.

"Do you mind if we join you?" There was clearly very little space for just barely one person to sit, let alone two. Lisa was about to point this out when Michel spoke from beside me.

"Of course," he said and lifted me up by the waist to place me on his lap. I gasped slightly and blushed crimson, wanting to be anywhere but here. My back was pressed up against his well-muscled chest and his chin was placed just at my shoulder. His warm breath on the back of my neck made me shiver and I turned to bury my head in the crook of his neck to hide the crimson blush across my face.

"Michel," said Lisa in a warning tone but Michel ignored her, keeping both his hands firmly on my waist to prevent me from sliding off.

"Thank you," said Sarah before the 2 of them sat down beside us. Beyond embarrassed, I avoided their gaze and I heard him laugh near my ear.

"You know for someone so tiny, you are quite heavy," he whispered in my ear and I pinched him lightly on the arm before holding his arms, which were wrapped around my waist.

The play had been an excellent one and quite long as well. The moon was shining bright in the night sky by the time we left the theatre. I'd chosen to sit between Lisa and Johanna and Michel had placed himself right behind me next to Jack and Adam. Once in a while he'd lean forward to whisper something in my ear or play with my hair before leaning back to speak with Jack or Adam. He seemed so much happier than I'd ever seen him and it brought a huge smile to my face.

"You seem very happy," Michel pointed out as we made out way to the carriage. Hopefully I wouldn't have to sit on his lap again.

"You seem quite happy as well."

He smiled but the smile faltered when a dark blue-eyed man stepped in front of us. Michel pushed me gently behind him before looking up at his father, who looked more vulnerable than I'd ever seen him.

"Can we talk," he asked and Michel briefly considered it before following him and to my surprise he dragged me along. As much as I didn't want to be anywhere near this man, I still needed to be there for Michel, whose hands clutched mine tightly as he followed his father.