Foreword

"Are you strong enough to stand up to the inhumane? Or humane enough to offer them kindness?" ~Evangeline Winter

G'day Wattpad! It's great to be back with another fanfic for the world, this time a DC fanfic instead of a Marvel one. Even though Marvel is my favourite comic company, the Batman comics (and more importantly its villains) are by far my favourite comic series with my favourite super hero and rogues gallery.

Of course, before we start this new journey with Evangeline Winter (Eve), there are a few things to establish and get out of the way to do so.

A) While this story does eventually follow the Arkham series timeline, it is a slightly looser interpretation of it due to my OC Eve and the impacts she has on the story, as well as how I interpret the DC characters themselves. The DC characters (ranging from Batman and Gordon to the Riddler and Poison Ivy) not only have different physical appearances due to the actors I cast for them, but their interactions with the other DC characters will be different from how they interact with them in the game series (this will be explained in point B).

B) Even though this will ultimately follow the Arkham series (as mentioned in point A), the characters will be depicted as how I see them. This is due to the fact that the original comics were obviously aimed at a young audience, so they were represented in quite an unrealistic light as to not ruin the innocence of young children. Realistically (I know what you're thinking, 'These are comics, they aren't realistic Tara.' And I know, but they have to be believable at least) however, these characters would obviously be quite a bit darker and inhumane. So my depiction of these characters is a mix of the two, not as bright and cheerful as Batman: The Animated Series, but the characters aren't as hostile towards one another as they are in the Arkham games (because let's face it, we all love the nerdy trio that consists of Riddler, Scarecrow and the Mad Hatter).

C) In relation to point B and kinda point A, this fanfic will decidedly be fairly darker than my previous stories. Not to the point of severely graphic gore, rape, sex or torture scenes, but things such as profanities and probably some offensive material will be tossed around a tad more lightly (obviously I don't actually take anything above lightly, but the characters themselves would realistically treat things of the like more apathetically and carelessly than us). So let this be a warning that any offensive material in this book is NOT to be taken seriously and not how I feel about the material/topics myself. This is just a work of fiction with fictional characters who realistically would act, say and think of such topics in that regard. So please don't storm at me with pitch forks, torches and batrangs for throwing around a discriminative comment when I don't mean it at all.

*wipes sweat from forehead* Glad that's outta the way! I've just found foreword to be necessary nowadays otherwise there are misunderstandings or people end up leaping into a book that may trigger delicate or traumatising topics for them, which is clearly something I have no intention of purposefully doing.

I don't think I've ever written such a serious author's note/foreword before. I almost feel uncomfortable not cracking some horrible, cheesy pun/joke that earns me a couple hundred facepalms from the people reading it. So why don't you comment a random pun/joke below? Let's try and make each other laugh after reading such a serious foreword (and just for the fun of making each other laugh).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and to those of you who are continuing into the abyss of this book, you are brave, brave soldiers (probably slightly mentally unstable as well, but don't worry, I'm sure there's a cell for you across from the Joker in Arkham).

That's all for now, bye! :) xxx

~ T.L