Mihawk glanced at her.

'Will you leave your beloved cap that you've called treasure for all these years? Or abandon it cause of the truth within it?' Mihawk thought to himself.

You looked at the MARINE cap, gazing into it as your hand was frozen in the air.

"We did it Smoker!" You said with a laugh as you held your cap between your hands, looking at it and then up at him. He already put it on his head when he got it from Garp. Garp laughed heartily at you as he stood in front of them proudly.

"You sure did (Y/N). Smoker. Both of you will be fine marines."

You smirked as you put your cap on your head snugly.

"I'll be better then fine! I'm going to be the strongest girl marine out there! And Smoker shall be my henchmen."

Garp laughed as Smoker scowled at you.

"Who would want to follow an arrogant leader like you idiot!"

"A Smobaka."

Smoker got tick marks as he grabbed your head and pushed it down as you cried out in surprise. Garp laughing louder as tears went down his face.

"Brat!"

You've had had this since the beginning. Since you were just a kid. A kid who no one cared about besides their dead mother. Until a bad boy with a scowl and a crazy old guy came around.

"Does this look weird?" You asked Smoker beside you as you tried out different ways to wear your hat. Smoker glanced at you right at the moment you put the hat slanted against your head.

"You look like an idiot." He said blankly as he turned back to cleaning his weapon.

"Hey!" You smacked his head hard with the hilt of your sword as Smoker cursed angrily . "That's not what I asked! You need to clean your ears Smobaka!"

Even when you advanced within the marine forces, you kept it on your head. In good condition with no sign of a nick or mark. Even in CP9, you kept it close as you slept. It helped you sleep sometimes after all. Always near you, never letting it out of your sight. Not even for a measly second.

There was a reason for that.

"You know (Y/N), you don't have to wear the cap anymore. You're an Ensign now." Smoker said as they walked as you adjusted the cap on your head with a smile. You turned your head towards him, your smile turning into a smirk.

"Is that jealousy I hear~? The hat too ugly for ya?" Smoker scowled at you as he yelled a no. You laughed and put a hand to his shoulder in apology as you said you were kidding.

"Then why? You wanna wear it like that guy Akainu?" Your face turned to a scowl of your own as you stuck your tongue out with disgust.

"Ew, no! Who wants to be like that hothead? I don't like him. You saw how he was treating some of the new recruits." Smoker frowned, silently agreeing with you but tilted his head. You rubbed the back of your neck as you looked up to the cieling as they walked.

"It's cause,"  You turned your head towards him in a smile as you touched and rubbed your cap.

"Cause—"

"For the record," Jet's low voice began as he looked at his savior. "To a lot of people in this world," he rose your cap higher towards your face as he put a reassuring hand on your shoulder, squeezing it as he gave a soft smile, "You mean something to them." He finished carefully, the crew behind him giving a careful smile of their own as your gaze was back onto your cap.