Beyond the Sea (Pirate!England)

Start from the beginning

   Once again, this woman managed to drag me deeper in love. If only she was the sea itself: I'd gladly drown myself in all of her.

   "Love" I took a step forward but she held up a hand. Her lips, chapped from thirst and have been nothing but hooked downward so unfittingly, curled up slightly as she gave me a weak smile. Sometimes I couldn't help but tell myself that she really is a lot stronger than I can ever be.

   "It's all right, Arthur" She turned her hand, the gold shining in the sunset "This isn't going anywhere"

   It took a while but I finally realized what she meant and I picked her up by the waist and spun around. We shared a somber yet sweet laughter, and for a moment nothing was wrong.

   Our faces were less than an inch apart when she whispered "Promise me you will return"

   I swept back her hair and placed a peck on her forehead, "I always do"

   My second mate came and informed me that we were ready to sail. I bade my beloved one more kiss goodbye before leaving. My eyes never left her waving form until she the shore was completely shrouded in fog.

We spent those years apart as we usually did: writing to one another about everything. She wrote to me how she was constantly being pressured by her mother and father to forget about me and marry a suitor of hers. I told her how we may have to go to war soon.

   Neither of us were having the best time of our lives. That is until I sent her a letter informing her the defeat of the Spanish Armada (in your face, Carriedo) and my return. I didn't receive any letter back but I didn't think too much of it for I was too enthralled with the idea of finally marrying her to even consider the idea of any misfortune getting in between us.

   The moment the ship was docked I practically raced to her parents' home. I knocked on the door and fixed myself up as I waited.

   However, once the door opened I saw something I never would have even thought about in my sense of victory: the swollen, red eyes of her mother who was all clad in black.

   I couldn't bring myself to ask what was wrong, but the poor old woman's husband managed to answer the silent question.

   My entire being frozen, or maybe the world did.

   I staggered backward "Y-you're lying. It's not true, she... she can't be" I refrained from using the word "dead" because it never felt nor sounded so foreign.

   The mother became hysterical "I am not lying!" She screamed and her husband began to rub her shoulders "I wish I was" She whispered, crying once more, "My poor girl. Give her back to me..."

   I suddenly felt even more sick. These were her parents; the couple who raised and loved her, and wanted nothing but the best for her. I had no right to act like this to them.

   "I'm not lying..." The woman cried hoarsely.

   No longer wanting to be a bother, I offered them my apology and left for the ship. My crew appeared as though they were ready to celebrate with all the bottles they bough. However, I refused to talk to any of them, tiredly ordering them to not to bother me.

   Once I reached my quarters I threw my hat and coat on the floor. I snatched the half-finished bottle of rum on my table and took one, big gulp.

   Ah. I treasured the burning sensation on my throat, but like everything and everyone else in my life it doesn't stay for very long.

   I slouched on my chair, feet on the floor and legs wide apart. Tapping the glass, I tried to recall what the father told me.

   "She's dead, Captain" He spoke lowly, like he was trying his best so his wife couldn't hear him "She... Well, she finally agreed to marry her suitor"