Chapter Thirty One

Ashley's POV

I struggle to tape up one of my many boxes when Julian walks through the door. I can't believe I'm done with high school. I look back to see him dressed in a white polo shirt with jeans and he pulls flowers from behind his back and hands them to me.

"Julian. You are so sweet. Thank you." I give him a gentle kiss. "Are you done packing?" I ask and he sits next to me on the floor.

"Yes. I don't have that much stuff... You on the other hand..." He chuckles and I laugh along.

"I don't have that much stuff!" I argue.

"Here, I'll help you." He opens a drawer and I stop him.

"I'm not taking that stuff-" I go to shut the door but stop once I see the bracelet that my dad bought for me. I pick it up and read the words engraved to the metal: Hope. I smile down at it and slip it on my wrist. I feel Julian's eyes on me and know I should explain.

"My dad bought this for me when they adopted me, he said it was a welcome home gift."

"It looks beautiful." He speaks and I smile.

"I know, my dad had great taste." I let out a chuckle but feel sad, me and my dad were supposed to do this whole college packing and moving this together. Even though I'm grateful for Julian, I'm still sad that I won't be able to experience everything the way that my dad wanted me to. I go through the stuff in the drawer and share stories with Julian, some funny, some sad. I forgot that I had most of this stuff.

Later That Day

"Oh gosh, my hands still hurt from closing all of these boxes." I complain, Julian grabs my hand.

"You're such a wimp." He laughs and I push him, my mom laughs along.

"Well, you two, I'd love to take you both out to a nice dinner. How about it?" She questions and we both smile.

"Of course!"

💮

"Are you sure you are going to be okay?" I ask my mom across the table. Julian got up to use the bathroom and I took it as a good time to make sure that she was going to be okay. I feel guilty for leaving her all by herself.

"Ashley, I promise you I am going to be fine. You need to go live your life!" She smiles and I nod my head. Trying my best to believe her words.

"Alright, but if you ever need anything at all. Just call me and I'll drop anything and everything to come help." I speak and she smiles.

"Okay sweetheart." She smiles.

That night, I stayed up staring at the ceiling fan, I can't believe I was leaving my mom alone here. But I need to go to college and live like she wants me to. I just can't help but have anxiety over the thought that if something happens to her while I am gone, I'm far away. I'm not right there anymore and it breaks my heart to be this far away from my mom after everything has happened. My eyes burn from staying up this late and I roll over to my side and try my best to fall asleep until I drift off.

"I can't believe we are leaving now." I speak nervously to Julian and my mom.

"It's going to be fine." Both my mom and Julian say at the same time and I smile.

"Obviously you both have been having to reassure me too many times. How are you guys not freaking out right now?" I question, thinking about how calm they always seem to be. I feel like I am the only one who over thinks everything and I tend to freak myself out before anything really happened.

"How are you freaking out right now? You should be excited!" My mom hugs me and I nod my head.

"I mean, you have me, Ashley." Julian speaks and I shake me head.

"Oh no... That's reassuring." I say sarcastically, he glares at me.

"I am not that bad, at least you don't have to deal with stinky feet all the way there." He points at my bare feet and I push his chest.

"Shut up! My feet don't even smell!"

"Right...." My mom laughs and I can't help but smile at the sound of it.

"We should probably head out now." Julian checks the time and I sigh.

"I am going to miss you two so much. Making sure you both call me regularly! Or else I'm going to have to just move there with you." We both chuckle and say our final goodbyes. I try my best not to cry but the tears spilled from both me and my mom.

"Can we stop somewhere before leaving town?" I ask Julian as he drives through the small streets, he nods his head and I tell him exactly where I want to go. Once we arrive, I get out, leaving Julian in the truck and walk up the big grassy hill to my father's stone.

"You thought I was going to leave without saying goodbye? I would never do something like that." I smile, running my clean painted nails on the stone. "I love and miss you so much. Look after mom when I am gone. I just wanted to say goodbye before leaving for college. Thank you for taking me in, when no one else wanted to. I love you so much and I wish I could just hug you once more. I love you, bye dad." I lay a rose on the ground in front of the large stone and take one long gaze before walking to where Julian's waiting for me. I climb in the passenger seat and kiss his cheek as he starts up the truck.

I don't know what's down the road for me now. But I am grateful for all the memories that this past year has given me. And can't help but smile when thinking about all the more to come.

"Are you ready Ashley?" I look over and give him a soft smile before nodding my head.

"As ready as I'll ever be..." I watch the cemetery slowly disappear through the side mirror as we drive away and feel the warm sun shining through the windows. Ready for what will come.

A/N: 

Ahhh! Thank you so much for following along on Ashley and Julian's journey! I appreciate each and every one of you for reading and being so supportive, it truly means the world. Please vote if you enjoyed the book and don't forget to comment down below, I read all the comments and I'd love to chat with you! Thanks again you guys! You are amazing and I hope you have a beautiful day... Or night... No matter which, I hope it's wonderful. <3