Chapter Twenty Seven

Ashley's POV

"How are you feeling Ashley?" Trina speaks up and Max hugs me. I see the pity that they both have in their eyes and I know they feel bad for me. I don't want anyone to feel bad for me, I just wish everything could go back to normal.

"I'm alright, thanks." I speak and manage a smile on my face. They start talking about all that's happened when I was gone. I can always rely on them to understand me without me needing to explain myself. They know I don't want to talk about anything that has to do with my dad and even though I am only half listening, just hearing the sound of their voices make me feel better.

"You know, Rachel tripped in the mud and everyone laughed Tuesday." Max speaks and I look up and smile a little.

"Well, she sure does deserve it." I speak and they chuckle. I look over to Julian and grab onto his hand again, I never want to let go. I know he has different classes than me and it makes me sad. The bell rings and he walks me to my class. I sit in an empty seat and I notice Michael sitting next to me.

"Oh my gosh, Michael, I am so sorry about not telling you-"

"No, don't you even worry about it. I just hope that you're okay." I give him a small smile and take out my binder for the class. I haven't even tried to do my school work, I just didn't want to. I hear laughter behind me and turn to see Rachel her her friends staring at me giggling and I turn back around and open my book. Feeling numb to what they were doing. The bell rings and the teacher walks in and begins to write on the board.

"Ashley, I know you may not understand this stuff right now because of all the school you missed. But still try to pay attention, okay?" He asks and I nod my head, trying to follow along to the best of my ability. I get out a pen and begin to take notes and before I know it I start to doodle and everything the teacher says begins to sound fuzzy and I zone out. Every little thing that I could've done different that day runs through my head and I shut my eyes, feeling guilty again. I know my dad wouldn't be angry, but I just wish I had one more day with him. One more hug, one more conversation. I miss everything about him: how obnoxious he was in the mornings, all the advice that he would give, and every night when he would ask if I needed help on any work that I had from school. I just wish it would've been me instead of him.

My chest begins to feel tight and my breath feels shallow. I love him so much and it's hard not to think about it. I didn't realize what was happening until I look back down at the paper and see dark tear drops on the paper, I wipe my eyes and crumple up the paper and set it aside. All of this is crazy, I shouldn't have come in the first place. I stand to my feet and gather my things and leave the room, I hear the teacher call out my name but I ignore it and keep walking. I walk into the bathroom and let the door close before diving into a pool of my own tears. I didn't think this would happen, I thought I could be strong... I hear a soft knock on the door and it cracked open, I look and see that it's Michael, with his hand covering his face he calls out to me.

"Ashley? Are you in here? I mean, I saw you go into the bathroom, but I just want to make sure." He speaks, stumbling over his words.

"Yeah, I'm in here." I sniff and I open the door wider and he uncovers his eyes and offers a small smile.

"Sorry, I guess I just don't know what to say." I speak, looking down at my nails.

"Well," He starts, sliding against the wall on the outside of the door so he isn't technically in the bathroom, "Neither do I... But at least you know you have a friend that will sit here with you. Feel free to cry away. No judgment here." He speaks and a chuckle slips from my mouth as I slide down against the open bathroom door, we were on opposite sides of the walls, and I looked up at him and smiled. Tossing my hands in the air.