Chapter Nine

Ashley's POV

I open my eyes to see white colored walls around me. I remember back to yesterday, and shutter at the memory of me sliding off of the saddle and hitting my head.

"Hey honey." My mom greets me, a magazine in her hand.

"Hi mom." I speak, my throat dry.

"You had to get stitches on your head, and you have a cast on your leg now. But I am sure you figured that one out yourself." She teases, I look and see the black cast on my leg and I let out a big grunt.

"No! Now I have to wear this chunky thing?" I roll my eyes and hear my mom giggle.

"Yeah, you did break your leg." She informed once again.

"Okay, well when can I get this off?" I ask.

"In about three month, possibly earlier if it heals and you take it easy the way you are suppose to. But you have your father's sense of pride and I don't know how great that is going to go down with you." She teases.

"Yeah, yeah... That is too long though."

"I am sorry sweetie, but you are just going to have to wait."

"Where is dad and Julian?"

"Julian is waiting outside, and your father had to go back to the house to shower, he stayed here last night. You should speak with Julian." She stands to her feet and opens the large door, soon after I watch Julian step inside, with a white t-shirt on, he looks different without his hair all done and his jacket off. Different, but better, and I can't help but admire the way he looks, he may be a jerk, but he does look good being one.

"Thank you." I speak up.

"For what?"

"For saving me, I could have died there." He smiles.

"Well, why wouldn't I save you?" He questions and I shake my head.

"I don't know, maybe you would've just been happy to get rid of me." I shrug, listening in for a response.

"I would never leave you behind like that. Who do I strike you as? A jerk?" He smirks, sitting in the chair next to the bed.

"And besides, I need you to show me around school, remember?"

"Yeah yeah, well now I have to do so with this big tree trunk on my leg!" I complain.

"It isn't that bad, the cast matches your heart." He teases, I notice the joke being a bit weird, but I can tell he is trying.

"I think you are seeing a reflection of yourself there buddy."

"Ha.Ha."

"You're a weirdo." I shake my head and he looks at me.

"How?"

"The cast matches your heart." I tease him, he chuckles. And runs his hand through his hair.

"Hey, you have no room to call anyone a weirdo." He narrows his eyes at me and I smile at him. Silence falls between us, and I look down at my fingernails, and begin to chip at them.

"You know, you are the only person I have told about how I really feel about the adoption thing." I speak, waiting for response.

"Really? Why did you only tell me?"

"I don't know... I guess it is just that I get this feeling whenever I am around you, that somehow, you can understand what I feel. I feel like I can trust you."

Julian's POV

I smile naturally comes on my face, that was kind.

"But then again, I am apparently a weirdo, so..." She jokes, and I chuckle. Being with her feels normal, the more I get to know her, the more I feel like I've known her for my whole life. I've never really felt this way, it doesn't feel forced like it did before, this feels... Good.