Chapter 58

I get through airport security fairly quickly. I sit in the tiny plastic chairs, waiting for my flight number to be called. I keep fidgeting and my knee is bouncing up and down like crazy. My palms are super sweaty. 

Why am I so nervous?  I shouldn't be nervous to go back home and leave my boyfriend. It's for three days. 

Finally, my flight is called and I board my plane. I text Niall and tell him that I'm boarding my plane and will call him when I land. 

I watch as the city I have grown to call my home slowly drifts under the clouds. A million of thoughts flood into my brain, but I try to shove them all away. I put my headphones in, and just close my eyes. 

It's a long, lonely, flight home. 

                                                                                                            ****

"Spencer, you look so grown up!" My mother practically shouts in my ear as she hugs me. I fake a smile as I pull away, trying to act like she doesn't annoy me until I want to scream. 

"Thanks Mom," I mutter and grab my luggage. Steve stands behind her, a warm smile on his face. I've actually grown to be okay with Steve. He seems to make my mom happy. 

"Your mom has been cleaning the entire house all week just for your homecoming," Steve says, chuckling under his breath. I roll my eyes and follow the two of them out to the car. 

"Sounds like my mom." The cold air hits my exposed skin and I have to take a deep breath. Snow covers the ground and the surrounding area of the parking lot. I almost run to the warmth of the car. I can hear Steve chuckle at me as he starts the car. 

One of the reasons why I hate Wisconsin, the cold weather.  

I text Niall telling him I've landed and am on my way home. My heart twinges as we pull into the driveway of my childhood home, without him. We unload from the car and I grab my things from the trunk. 

"Brianna texted me and said she would land in a couple hours and would be over after she unpacked," My mom informs me as we walk through the door. I nod going straight to my room to lay on my bed. 

Brianna and my mother have this special bond that I will never really understand. In high school, she would say it was just took look out for me. To be honest, it feel like my mom would rather have Brianna as a daughter than me. 

My phone goes off in my hand and I see that Niall is calling me. 

"Hello," I answer, a small smile on my lips. 

"Hey babe," he answers. I roll my eyes at him even though he can't see me. 

"How are you doing?" 

"Bored out of my mind. Nothing is good on tv," he complains. I can picture him lying on his back on our long sofa. 

"Check the movie channels," I answer, rolling over onto my side on my bed. 

"I did. The only movies that are on are those stupid chick flick movies you make me watch when I piss you off," he responds, annoyance clear in his tone. 

I laugh. "Those aren't that bad. You could be working right now instead of talking to me." 

"I lost my inspiration to write anything as soon as I watched you walk through those doors at the airport." I roll my eyes at his statement. 

"You could write about missing me. Or you just write about guy stuff. I don't know, but you need to write," I nag. 

"Yeah, yeah. I'll get to it," he mumbles. 

"No, you are going to do it." 

"Why?" He fights. I can hear the smile in his voice. 

"Because, I said so. I'm hanging up so you can write. If you call me back, which I know you will because you are an annoying asshole, I won't answer. Now get to work." With that, I hang up. 

In a matter of two seconds, my phone goes off. I ignore it. 

Two seconds later, he calls back again. 

Laughing, I turn my phone off and start to unpack before Brianna comes. 

Thank you so much for all the love I am getting for my book! I am so thankful for all of you who give up your time to read my work. Thank you so much. I am so grateful for all of you. Every single reader makes my day. Thank you so much for all the love and support you give me. 

Love, 

Lauren Schaefer