Chapter 16

Please Excuse Any Mistakes

"Okay, Carter, you need to get 3 cups of flour" I said to Carter as I cracked the eggs and poured them into the bowl.

I tossed the egg shells in the sink and wiped my hands on my black apron. I looked over at my sleeve and pulled it up more, the white fabric nearly falling back down to my wrist. I looked over to Carter.

He was clad in his black jeans and a navy sweatshirt that was riding up as he reached up to the top of the fridge to grab the flour, his pink apron, that he insisted on wearing, followed. My eyes widened when I remembered the last time Carter grabbed the flour.

"Carter, wa--" but it was too late.
Carter reached to the back of the fridge on top and had moved the flour forward. A smile grew on his face as the flour reached the end of the fridge. He grabbed it with both hands, but not tight enough. In an instant, the bag of flour slipped from his hand and to the ground. The bag exploded in a white puff as it his the wood floor. Carter's eyes widened as he watched the bag hit the ground.

I coughed as white surround us and went into my eyes.

I heard Carter yell, "I didn't mean I wanted to be covered in flour when I said I looked great in  white!"

I swatted the air around me with my hand as if to move the flour in the air away, but failed.

"It burns! It burns! My eyes burn!" Carter yelled as I foggily saw him rub his eyes vigorously. He fell to his knees and crawled out of the kitchen quickly. I heard him call up the stairs for Evan faintly. I saw Carter scramble back to the kitchen.
I coughed again, trying to get the flour of of my throat until I was brought down to the ground with great force. The air was knocked out of me as I hit the ground, or below someone. I heard a yell, "Hit the deck! ITS DANGEROUS AND BURNS"

I looked up and saw the white ceiling and sighed as I looked to the side slightly. I saw the back of Carter's head, his arms clasped tightly around my waist.

He looked over at me and smiled, "I saved your life. I don't owe you that damn cookie now" I rolled my eyes and tried to squirm out of Carter's grasp.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs slowly, probably Evan taking his sweet time because he was used to our stupidity. Carter was laying on top of me, arms around my waist, head resting on my shoulder while I could eventually run out of oxygen due to him being heavier than me. Because this situation is the kind of situation that gives him a reason to call us idiots.

I gave up in trying to get away from his grasp and let my head fall back onto the ground and sighed, "I never knew I'd die from running out of oxygen because my best friend dropped flour, pulled me to the ground, and is now laying on top of me, causing me to not be able to breathe well" I squeaked out.

I heard Carter laugh and someone enter the kitchen. I heard Evan groan as he looked at the kitchen covered in flour, "Mom is going to kill us"

"While dad laughs at us and steals a cookie" I put in.

I heard Evan come towards us. He sat crisscrossed to my left, where Carter's head was and sighed, "Lacey, this is your punishment for letting Carter get the flour"

I narrowed my eyes, "And what about Carter?"

I knew he was rolling his eyes, "He's just plain stupid"

"Ya!" Carter said and then caught himself, "Wait, I mean- Hey!"

I stifled a laugh and gave into my punishment, welcoming the less air.

Evan stood up and I knew he was starting to clean up our mess, knowing we won't be much help. I always feel bad when he cleans up our messes. But, he always insists that we both won't get much done since we'd make jokes out of everything and well, are best friends. He never cares about cleaning up, or at least he says he doesn't care.