Chapter 42: The Twisted Reality

I waited in anticipation, for anything else she had to say. She didn't say another word, and just stood there looking at me, catching her breath.

"Damon?" I finally managed to speak.

"Damon." She nodded. There was no confusion, no suspicions. She was sure.

"How do you finally know my name, Avril?" I asked, knowing full well what was coming.

"Because I'm not Avril." She replied, speaking each word carefully. I felt my heart stop, as the seconds ticked by. When was she finally gonna say it? I couldn't open my mouth to ask more, I was too stunned.

"You know me, Damon Hale." she whispered, inching closer with each word. I could almost hear my heart thudding in my chest. This girl had been with me all along, and I hadn't been sure. And now, in the last moment, this reveal happened.

"Which one are you?" I sneered, as she stood face to face. Her mouth curled into her signature smile, and my heart began racing.

"I am Jade. Your Jade, Damon." She smiled wider, this time a bit sadder. And my racing heart, stopped again. The world became still, and her words echoed through my mind.

I am Jade. Your Jade. Jade. Jade.

"You were never mine." I whispered, a lump forming in my throat. I hadn't known I was going to say that, but I guess it made sense. I saw her visibly take a step back, and a slight shock on her face.
As if it was shocking I would say that.

"Damon?" She said, innocently, her eyes wide. When I didn't reply, she sighed and nodded, biting her lip. "It's only fair you think of me as the bad guy."

"Well, you really haven't given me a reason to think otherwise, Avril." I snapped, emphasizing on the lie.
But internally, I was screaming at myself. It was the perfect cover, and I had thought about it so, so many times. And yet, when it was in front of me, it felt so unreal.

"Jade." She repeated, straightening. Then, she looked behind her to see if someone had followed her. "We don't have time for explanations, Damon." She hissed, getting closer.
"Please just do it. Just ki-"

"Oh no. Not so easily." I put up my hands defensively, and backed away. Then folding my arms, I sneered. "I think you forgot what I told you in our game of lies. I'm gonna need accurate, detailed answers as to why you did what you did. I will not keep myself killing myself of curiosity of never knowing why you did it!"

"But-"

"No. It's time, Jade. Distinguish between your truths and lies, or you're done for real."

"Oh yeah? What will you do? Kill me?" She became her confident self for a spilt second, making me doubt my decision. But it was gone as soon as it came, and she became insecure again.
"That's what I'm asking you to do, please!" She begged.

"No. If I don't get my answers correctly this last time..I will leave you to the mercy of whatever you're running from." I threatened, frowning. She paled, and held her hands to her face.
"No.." She panicked. I wondered what the horrible thing was, that she was running from.

"Avril." She finally managed to speak, trying to calm herself. I raised an eyebrow, and she took another deep breath.
"I'm running from the crazy Avril, my twin."

"Well, huh. Why wouldn't she want to harm you? You impersonated her just to save your own butt. Heck, maybe she deserves to-"

"No! Not her. Please no." She pleaded, and gulping, "I didn't do it on my own. She let me do it, she even suggested it on her own. She told me to be her, so I'd be safe."