Chapter 32

You could be happy;
I hope you are.
You made me happier
Than I'd been by far.
Snow Patrol, "You Could Be Happy"

Spencer's POV

When the meeting with the principal ends, I dive out of the stuffy, limited amount of oxygen room and I breathe as deeply as I can.

I run to the bathroom as quickly as possible, my feet speeding across the floor. I lock myself in the bathroom stall, starting to dry heave into the toilet.

Nothing comes out, so I'm stuck trying to empty the nothingness that lies in my stomach. I lean my head against the stall door, staring up at the bright, blinding lights on the ceiling.

My cheek still stings after the punch Daniel threw at me. I place my hand on my cheek. Heat radiates from my cheek onto my hand.

Daniel has to stay in the principal's office, as well as Marcos. I spilled all the secrets about the bullying that has been occurring and Mr. Gideon is finally taking care of it once and for all. Daniel's punishment hasn't been stated yet, but I hope it will be major. Derek has to spend a week in detention instead of being in the cafeteria, but he's okay with it.

Footsteps and the sound of the bathroom door locking ring in my ears. Someone walks into the bathroom, entering one of the stalls near me.

"What do you think is going to happen to them?" It's Derek.

I shrug my shoulders for no one to see. "I don't know. I hope something bad happens to them after all that they've done to Courtney and I," I reply. My eyes start to bubble with angry tears. As hard as I try to fight them back, they are stronger than I am.

The toilet flushes and he steps out of the stall. The water starts to run a moment later. "Me too," He echoes. I step out of the stall, eyeing Derek from the corner of my tear-filled eye. I step up to the sink beside his, lathering my hands with soap.

I turn the tap on, washing the soap off my hands and scrubbing as hard as I can. I scrub my hands until my skin turns raw and red; until my hands are aching.

Morgan reaches over and turns the water off, stopping my angry actions. I stare up at him, my eyes swarming with burning tears. Derek moves closer to me, wrapping his arms around my punished body.

I bury my face in his shoulder, letting all my pressured tears spill onto his shirt. I sob in his arms, letting go of the fist that's tightened around my emotions.

I can feel my worries loosening the tight noose that has wrapped itself around my body in his embrace. I need a friend right now, and I'm incredibly lucky to have Morgan with me right now.

I pull away from the hug, wiping my tears away from my cheeks. "You okay?" He asks. I shrug honestly.

"Listen to me, kid. Those bullies aren't going to hurt you EVER again, I promise. I've already taken care of one of them, and Principal Gideon is going to deal with them both. You're safe now, so wipe the tears away and keep your damn head up," He speaks. I nod intently.

"Okay. We should get going to class," I respond.

"Why? Class is over in fifteen minutes anyway. There's no point. Why don't we just go outside for a bit?" He responds.

"Alright. Let's go outside." Morgan unlocks the bathroom door and I follow him to the back door of the school. We escape into the cool, March air. I take a deep breath, air finally travelling back to me.

We walk past the school, taking a seat on one of the bleachers overlooking the large football field.

I look out at the scenery in front of my eyes. Cool air soars around me, calming me down and making the thick, hard to breathe air inside feel like nothing. My eyes focus on a large oak tree that is placed near the back of the field.