Chapter 24

All that I am,
All that I ever was.
Is here in your perfect eyes,
They're all I can see.
Snow Patrol, "Chasing Cars"

Courtney's POV

His words rang in my ears for days, his words took over my entire brain and took me away to a land where all I could hear was "I love you", where all I could see and touch was him.

My anxiety levels were raised for Spencer. I didn't want him to suffer anymore, I care about his happiness more than my own. My heart breaks when he's in pain, my heart breaks to see how people could be so careless to a beautiful, kind, smart person like him.

I've never felt this way before in my life, I've never been taken away from my thoughts before by someone else. I've never felt a sense of confidence, I've never felt loved, even if my mom loves me to the moon and back. But now I do. Everything changed. Reid loves me and I love him too.

Mom agreed to drive Spencer and I to school today, since she has a week off from work. She travels a whole lot for her job as a business woman for a hotshot movie company. I'm glad when she's home, because she distracts me from cutting without her knowing.

"Does your mom know about the situation?" Spencer asks me over the phone that morning.

"What situation, Spence? There's too many for me to keep track of," I ask.

"What the bullies did to me, revealing my secrets," Reid replies softly, a tint of sadness fresh in his voice.

"No. I don't want her to worry, and I didn't know if you wanted me to tell her. I want to respect your privacy," I reply.

"You're one of the only people that does," He confesses. I pause for a second, opening my mouth but losing the words to say.

"I'll see you when we pick you up, okay?" I say.

"Yeah," He says, his voice cracking like someone stepped on his voice box.

"What's wrong?" I ask. I can sense that something is wrong, I know something is wrong. I can tell from the way his voice changed, I can tell from the sigh he released.

"I'm scared for school," He replies. I nod to nobody.

"I know you are. I'm going to be by your side the whole day, and you can always refuge back to me for support and love," I boost.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" He asks.

"Yeah." The line goes dead and I sigh, falling back onto the bed. I press my phone to my chest, sighing deeply. I close my eyes, desperately wanting to go back to sleep so I can escape the day that lies ahead of me.

My eyes pierce open when my mom bangs on the door, calling for me. "Courtney, are you ready? We've got to go!" She calls. I groan, flinging myself off the bed.

"Yeah, I'll be right there." I grab a tube of lip gloss from my nightstand, spreading it across my lips. I rub my lips together, tasting the sweet taste of vanilla and strawberries.

I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. The bags under my eyes are faint, and my makeup-free face is glowing. I finally slept well last night, Spencer's sweet words lulled me to sleep.

I give myself a small smile to try to cheer myself up. I swing the door open so I'm face to face with my mother. She gives me a cheeky smile, wrapping her arm around me.

"Did you sleep well?" She asks. I nod, this time the truth flies out faster than a lie normally does.

"That's good, darling," She replies.