Chapter 17

I can see it coming from the edge of the room,
Creeping in the streetlight.
Holding my hand in the pale gloom,
Can you see it coming now?
Oh, I think I'm breaking down again.
Florence + The Machine, "Breaking Down"

Spencer's POV

"I can see from the way you're staring at her that you are intensely attracted to her, Spencer." I turn my attention away from Courtney to the speaker of those words; Maeve.

"What?"

"Your body language. You loosened at the sight of her, your body relaxed. Not to mention you were staring," She replies. I put my head down, smiling.

"You're good, Maeve," I compliment. She nods.

"I know. You're good too. Do you like her?" She asks, but we both know the answer to that question.

"I..." I start, but my anxiety creeps up on me, scaring me.

"You do. Tell me about it, Reid. Come on, it's just us over here in our little corner of the library," She taunts. I look around to make sure no one is watching us.

"Okay. I do like her, Maeve. She doesn't smile all that often, but when she does, it's the most beautiful and warming thing in the world," I confess. She nods, listening to my every word.

"Have you told her these things?" She asks. It's weird, I don't feel weird talking about these things with Maeve. We meet at the library twice a week, and I've gotten extremely comfortable with her.

"Some," I reply sheepishly.

"Are you in a relationship with her?" I'm not good at social cues, I can't tell. I sure hope we are.

"I hope you are too," Maeve replies, answering my comment that I just realized was spoken aloud.

I blush. "Why don't you invite her over here?" Maeve asks. Before I can protest, Maeve calls her name. Courtney whips around, her sight travelling to us. She lightens, walking over to our table.

"What are you crazy kids doing?" She asks when she arrives, placing a hand on her table.

"Do you want to sit with us?" Maeve asks. Courtney nods, sitting down in the middle of Maeve and I.

She glances at me and I flash her a smile. She flashes me a small smile in response.

"So, you're Maeve, right? Spencer has told me about you," Courtney asks.

"Yup, Maeve Donovan. Nice to meet you," she greets, putting her hand out for Courtney to shake it. She shakes her hand.

"Courtney Stevens." They indulge themselves in a conversation, including me as well. Her eyes sparkle as she talks. A laugh escapes her lips, and the butterflies in my stomach go crazy.

"Oh shit," Courtney whispers, before covering her mouth.

"What?" I ask.

"Morgan and Garcia asked me to help them with their homework at 12:30, and it's 12:34. I've got to go, I'll see you guys later!" She picks up her bag and exits the library. I watch her go, strutting down the hallway until she disappears from my sight.

"I'm gonna go too, okay, Maeve?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?"