Chapter 7

Jean awoke in an unfamiliar bed, a little startled, but calmed down when he smelt Eric's lingering scent. The door opened and said person stepped inside. When laying his eyes on Jean a smile spread across his face.

"It's good to see you awake. Do you feel any pain?" Jean looked upon Eric when his question was voiced. Concern and love swirling in those beautiful yellow orbs.

"I'm fine, I just used too much energy. How long have I been out?" His mate smiled as the worry slowly ebbed away leaving only expressive orbs which were only for his mate's view.

"That's good to hear. You've been asleep an hour or so. Dinner's ready. Are you ready to meet my family on a more personal level?" Jean looked at Eric with surprise. He had all but forgotten about the family dinner. Before Jean could answer, his stomach made the loudest growling sound. The angry roar answered Eric's question perfectly. Jean blushed and looked away.

"Yes. As you can hear, I'm starving." Eric let out a chuckle at Jean's humor and a bright smile grazed his face. After getting Jean up, they both headed downstairs. When they entered the kitchen, Jean saw a beautiful woman with long curly black hair and blue eyes that held kindness but at the same time strength. There was a girl sitting at the table who Jean thought was about fifteen years old. Her appearance different from the rest of the family. At the end of the table sat a handsome man in his early fifties; with a strong jaw, short hair and piercing eyes, the eyes of an Alpha. The older alpha put his newspaper down as Jean and Eric entered the room. Eric's family all came to stand in front of Jean with smiles on their faces.

"You must be Jean; it is nice to meet you. My name is Clinton, this is my daughter Alex and my wife Claudia."

Jean smiled at the retired alpha.

"Good evening. It's an honor finally meeting all of you. Thank you for inviting me today."

Jean gave a short nod as his way of showing respect. Apparently, his answer was more than what the family had expected by the way they were staring. Grins broke out on their faces and they started laughing.

"Well Eric. You have found a good one there. I like him already!" Eric's father voiced his thoughts and Jean began smiling. The accept from Eric's family meant a lot to him and their future together.

The rest of the night went smoothly and the time flew by. Suddenly it was late and the newly found mates had to head home. After saying goodbye to Eric's parents and little sister he began moving towards the car. Before Jean left the house, he caught wind of the conversation between the two alphas.

"He's a keeper. Watch after him, he's not only kindhearted, but strong in more ways than one. Your mate's showing dignity and grace even while sitting in a wheelchair. I have never seen a more respected young man before. He'd make a good pack leader."

Jean smiled at the praise from the retired Alpha. It meant more than Jean could even imagine. When the lovebirds were seated in the car, they drove off. Making sure to wave goodbye to Eric's family. The drive was silent, but comfortable. The marine furrowed his eyebrows when Eric turned down a dirt path into the woods.

"Where are we going?" Eric smirked at Jean's question, yet still caught the calculated observation underlining his words.

"Wait and see. We'll be staying a couple of days. Your family packed a bag for you."

Jean's eyebrows were still furrowed, but chose to go with the flow. Deep inside, Jean was looking forward to being alone with the Alpha, just the two of them. Jean really could relax when he was with Eric. Appearance didn't mean anything in front of his mate. He sighed happily and leaned back to rest until they arrived.

~~~~~

After approximately fifteen minutes the car stopped in front of a cabin. To the right were a small beautiful lake. After exiting the car, Jean bathed in the sun and enjoyed the calming feeling the place had. Eric gathered the ramp from the back and planted it in place, afterwards swinging their bags over his shoulder and entering the home. Coziness was what greeted them. The walls made of thick planks giving it an earthy feel. Decorations littered around which made it personal as it added to the relaxing feel of the place. The cabin contained a bedroom, kitchen, living room and a bathroom. It wasn't big in size, but that fact made it all the more perfect. Bigger wasn't always better.

Eric had already placed their luggage in the bedroom, afterwards joining his mate to enjoy the sunlight, but not before making sure that everything was completed for tomorrow. Jean had placed himself on a bench and Eric sat down beside him. He pulled the marine further into his side, placing his head upon the other's soft hair. The silence swam around them as they sat enjoying the others company. Jean felt connected to Eric, which lead him to talk about his PTSD and what the episodes entailed. The same scene with slightly different information. The mother getting pushed, the little girl running and the shots fired. Even the littlest things could send him into a frenzy. Jean spoke truthfully about almost experiencing it when the situation with Dean happened. 

The fright of hurting another. Through it all, Eric sat quietly and listened only coming with his opinion at the end. "Your wish to save that little girl was what drove you forward. You just have to remember that she didn't die, even if you remember all the details, you cannot change what happened. I love you the way you are and I always will. With or without your arms, eyes, ears and so on. You are mine and I am yours. Always remember that." 

As Eric named the other things Jean could lose, yet still hold Eric's love, soft kisses touched the places mentioned. Water entered his eyes, yet Jean blinked them away and gave his mate the most stunning smile. The feeling of a weigh left his shoulders and Jean felt like he could breath again. 

Jean wrapped his arms around Eric as they watched the sun setting. After the sky had darkened the couple once again went inside. Eric turned on the heat and they snuggled up on the couch.

Feeling Jean's breathing calm down and become deep, Eric took it as a sign that he had fallen asleep. He stood up and carried the man to the bedroom - laying him gently upon the bed. After removing their clothes, Eric's heart felt full as Jean felt safe enough to sleep in his presence. Tugging his lover into his side and sliding an arm over Jean's waist. Eric then sighed in content and let the darkness swallow him into a wonderful slumber surrounded by the scent of his mate.