» night in the maze

What you need to know:
(y/n) - your name
I'll update this list according to the chapters:)
---
(y/n)'s p.o.v.
---

       Trapped. That word seems to echo in my head. I can't shake it. My thoughts are racing, thinking about what could happen. Why has nobody survived a night in the maze? What is the maze? What's so bad about it?

Minho grabs my shoulders, and shakes me rapidly. "Do you realize what you've done!?" He booms.

"I don't! Why is it so bad out here? Why is everyone so secretive!?" I snap back.

Minho's eyes fill with sympathy for a moment, but it is quickly gone, and replaced with a hard glare.

"Basically, once these doors shut, monsters called greivers come out. They will hunt and kill anything in the maze."

"Monsters?" I stutter, "And what do you mean maze?"

"This area outside of the glade is a maze. We've been trying to find our way out for nearly two years. That's why Ben and I," Minho points down at the unconscious boy, "run it every single day."

"But-"

I am cut off by a loud screech in the distance. Minhos face turns into panic and anger.

"Shuck," He curses "we are screwed, greenie."

I shift back an forth on my feet, "let's change that, Minho." I whisper.

"What?"

"I said-" Minho slaps his hand over my mouth to prevent me from talking, and grips my arm with his other hand. I flinch a little, and try to speak, but it only come out as muffles. He then leans towards my ear.

"Be quiet," he whispers, "the greivers. They know we're here."

I simply just nod my head, as he lets go of me. He grabs Ben's ankles, and motions for me to pick up his wrists. We quietly shuffle into a corner with a small dip in the ground. Gently, we place Ben in it, and cover him up with vines and dirt the best we can.

"Hopefully he won't wake up until morning," Minho whispers, "he's fairly well hidden."

As I was carrying Ben, I notice his shirt was ripped and he had a huge gash on his stomach.

"Minho, what happened to him?" I question.

"He was stung. Stung by one of those shucking greivers!" His volume rises towards the end in frustration.

I quickly put my finger up to my lip to shush him. He understands, nodding his head.

"Sorry," he whispers, "anyways, we have to keep moving. We'll come back and get Ben when daylight hits."

I nod, and start to follow after him as he runs. We continue down a path silently, until a noise breaks it. the same high pitch screeching fills the air, yet this time, it sounds even closer. Minho takes off running, expecting me to follow. I run as fast as I can behind him. But, I eventually lose him. He's too fast. I sigh, slowing down my pace, coming to a complete stop.

"I lost him." I whisper to myself between pants. I stand there trying to catch my breath. I stand completely still, trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I still have a few hours until the walls open again, according to Minho. I need to survive until then. I continue to think, until yet again, that same horrifying screech is heard. I rapidly turn around, to come face to face with a greiver. I stand completely still in fear, unable to move. I scan the greiver up and down, terrified, yet almost fascinated at the same time by this mysterious creature. The griever breaks the silence, by letting out a screech. That's when I find myself running. Running as fast as my shaking legs will take me. I turn a sharp corner not long after I feel myself trip. The wind is knocked out of me, as I am now unable to speak or move. I feel my slim body hit the ground with a small thud. I quickly roll onto my back, looking up from where I fell. I realize I fell into a small opening in the ground,  as I gaze up from it. I watch as the griever that was chasing me, leaps over the opening I fell into, thinking I was still running forward. I let out a massive, but quiet sigh, trying not to be too loud. I lay there fearfully, for what feels like days, but what was merely a few hours. Until, finally, the stars begin to fade and the sky starts to lighten. Relief consumes me as I realize I am now safe. I then pull myself out of the small, crammed opening that saved my life, and continue towards the way I left Ben. It wasn't far from here. Finally, I find the spot. I quickly begin taking the vines and brushing the dirt off of him, and start attempting to pull him out of the dip.

"Greenie!" A familiar voice yells.

I whip around, only to see the boy who I lost merely a few hours ago

"Minho!" I run to him, tackling him in a hug, "you're okay!" I'm not the type to hug people I don't know, but in this moment I don't even care.

He gives me a smile, letting go from the hug. "Of course I'm okay, if something happened to me then I wouldn't be able to yell at you more about running in here."

I laugh, and roll my eyes. I can tell he's going to be someone I can trust. We walk up to Ben, as Minho puts one of Ben's arms around him, and I put Ben's other arm around me. We shuffle around the corner, only to be greeted with the opening of the glade. We watch as tons of the gladers are huddled around it.

"Guys, come back! They're here!" A voice yells, excitedly.

The amount of gladers doubles, as we hear cheering. Once we walk past the doors. People take Ben from us, and carry him off to what seems like a medical building. As I turn around, I see Thomas and Newt run up to me, both of them engulfing me in a hug. I stay stiff, as I allow them to hug me

"Don't scare us like that again, greenie." Thomas lectures.

We separate from the hug, as I smile at them."I'm fine, guys."

little did I know,
That will change.

--