Chapter 5

Steve and I discreetly walked into a taco joint. It was the nearest thing to the woods and it wasn't as crowded. We stayed close together, our arms touching in case one of us had to grab the other.

"What can I get for you guys today?" the cashier asked as we approached the counter.

"We will take anything that is already ready to go and bottle of waters, quickly," I said looking directly in her eyes.

"What are you doing?" Steve whispered to me as I continued to stare into her eyes. I didn't answer him concentrating on her, making sure I wouldn't make a mistake like last time.

Her face went blank along with her eyes. I'm in. She nodded at me and headed to the back where the food was being prepared. She rushed back over and handed me the bag. "Here you go." Her expression was still blank; she was a robot under my control.

"You won't remember any of this. You didn't see us, you didn't do anything." I looked straight into her eyes. She was easy to control, which made me feel better. She nodded in response. "Go back to work like nothing happened." She stared at me then went to the back once again.

We aren't going to pay?" Steve asked confused. I looked up to the corners of the building and saw the security cameras. I looked into the lenses. It's done. I felt a little nudge in my head to use more, like last time. I couldn't do it like last time. I refuse to do it like last time.

"Let's go," I said walking to the door with the food in my hands. Steve followed and we went back to the woods. "Eat and walk."

"What did you do back there?" he asked as I handed him a burrito.

"Where do we go now?" I asked avoiding his question.

"The hospital. Now tell me what you did back there," he said taking a bite of the burrito. Steve was the guy that liked to be told what was going on straight to his face. He was an honest man and he expected honesty. It's one reason why I cared about him so much.

"I have mind reading abilities," I truthfully stated. I didn't want to lie to him anymore. I had lied to him when we first met and now he has everyone he knows lying to him. I don't want to be in that group with him.

"Like telepathy?" he asked with his mouth full of the burrito. I looked up at him and smiled. "Sorry, it's rude to talk with my mouth full," he said after swallowing.

"It's not telepathy. It's like a form of it." I didn't know how to explain what I can do. I'm still trying to find out what my limits are and what exactly I can do. "I don't use it as much anymore thought. I try not to unless it is extremely necessary."

"How long? Why didn't you tell me?" he asked as we headed back into the woods to get to the hospital.

"We had just met, Steve. You had woken up in this new time period and I didn't want your head exploding. I didn't want you to hate me." I hated talking about my feelings especially relating to my powers. Steve had been quiet for quite some time. It was a lot to take in, but then again he has worked with Thor and dealt with Loki...

"I could never hate you," Steve said wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulling me close to him. I felt his warmth fill my body. His muscles squeezed me sending a little relief of this whole situation. I grabbed his hand with mine and he held on to it. I felt his pulse. It was racing though he seemed calm.

"You're scared. I can feel it," I stated to him. He looked down at me with a guilty look. "I understand why you would be. I can get into your head and make you do things. But please know, I never used my powers on you ever."

"No. I know you never did. It's just still new to me. People with abilities, able to do things that are supposed to be impossible. I'm not scared of you, Skyra. I could never be scared of you." Steve planted a kiss on my forehead sending sparks through my body. Waking up every nerve in me. His lips were soft but firm, warm just like him. I held in my smile. Why was I smiling? I don't know! What?

"I hope that doesn't change," I said to him. I looked in front of me and we had reached the hospital. "What are we doing here?"

"I left something here and we need to get it back before anyone else does," Steve said taking his arm off my shoulder.

"What is that?"

"Something Fury gave to me." Steve grabbed my hand and started to run towards the hospital. Fury? What did Fury give him? What was all this really about?