Chapter 2

That was two years ago.

Since then, Steve and I haven't talked. I got the chance to get to know the famous Steve Rogers. We actually were friends for months before he and I had to go our separate ways. He had to go be an Avenger and Director Fury wanted me to go and hone my skills. Steve promised me that we would meet again one day and that we would always be friends. I wonder what he is up to. Has he forgotten about me? I hear the stories told by other agents of his amazing adventures and rescues. He was truly a hero once again. I saw that the moment I was able to talk to him. He was born to be a hero. He also had the kindest heart.

"What are you thinking about?" Agent Hill asked breaking my thought train. I readjusted myself and looked at her.

"Just about an old friend," I said to her. Agent Hill was one of my closest friends here at SHIELD. More like an older sister. She had been by my side the moment I was recruited. She was in her everyday SHIELD uniform. It looked like a dark blue, form-fitting jumpsuit that could hold a lot of weapons. The elevator dinged and opened its doors. Hill and I stepped out in unison and made our way to Director Fury's main office.

"Between you and I, I've missed you Sky," she said. She turned and looked at me and gave me a small smile. She didn't like to show "happy" emotions around work, but when it was just she and I, she was a hoot.

"Aw!" I squealed like a little girl. "I feel so special!" I jumped up and down as if I were on a trampoline just to embarrass her.

"This is why I don't tell you things," she said to me rolling her eyes at me. I stopped jumping and returned to walking like a real agent. Though I worked for SHIELD, I didn't dress like an agent. I wasn't really one, I mean I was but... It's complicated.

We continued to walk in the mile long hallway to reach Fury's office. Along the way, we passed many agents that I had remembered from my beginning days. Most of them didn't recognize me. Why would they, it was forever ago. I watched as Brock Romlow was about to pass me. He was top of our class when we were recruited. He and I never really talked, I always got a bad feeling from him. I never could figure it out but I knew it was best to keep my distance. Even to this day, I got a bad feeling about him.

He looked at me as he passed and gave me a friendly smile. Isn't that nice! No that isn't! There is something wrong. I felt my brain tug as soon as we passed each other. There was something definitely wrong. I could feel it. Something was going to go down, but I didn't know what. Damn it! Hill's phone rang while I tried to figure out what was going on. Figure it out, Skyra! What is going to happen? What did you get off him? What-

"We have to go!" Hill said loudly to me.

"What? What happened?" I said as she sharply turned to go back the way we were coming from. She wasn't answering me. "Maria!" I shouted. She stopped in her tracks and gave me a dead serious look. This is the shit that was going to go down. I knew it. I feel it.

"Fury's been shot."