3.7 Physical Education

3.7 PHYSICAL EDUCATION

Lennon walked into the locker room of the gymnasium; she stopped at a mirror in front of a sink.

Her face had deep scratches where limbs had cut into her cheeks as she ran through the woods. Smudges of dirt and blood covered most of her face, there were streaks where tears had washed away the combination, and there were twigs stuck in her hair.

She got undressed and walked to the showers where she collapsed, bringing her legs up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them.

She let the warm water wash away the dirt, tears, blood and pain away.

She finally got up and bathed herself after a few minutes, and then she grabbed a towel from the rack and walked over to her locker that each girl was assigned.

She had some extra clothes that she kept there, in case she might need it, and she got dressed and walked back out into the gym.

It looked so empty like this. Without students bouncing balls, or sitting in the bleachers.

She walked to the middle of the basketball court and sat on the painted bulldog that was the school mascot.

She lay on her back, staring up at the large white ceiling. She was lost in her own thoughts.

"If my mother wants me dead then she better be ready. I am not going just go down without a fight," she said sitting up.

She had thought so many hours over the past years on what her mother was like. She could never remember, now she was glad for that.

No child wants to imagine they are, or were unloved by their parent. But just like her nightmare of a life, she wasn't surprised at all.

Everything else in her world, she had been wrong about. Why not this too?

She saw a bin of basketballs that sat under the goal. She stood up and started to walk over to them, but stopped after a few steps.

I need to make my powers more controlled, she thought to herself.

She focused on the basketballs but nothing happened. Come on, get it together, she said to herself.

She focused again, the ball bin turned over and basketballs scattered everywhere.

Lennon let out a scream of frustration. She felt exhausted, and she had hardly done anything.

She bent over, putting her hands on her knees. Tears started streaming down her face.

She saw a flash of memory, of Ms. Fitz in her thoughts. Her body lay across her bed. Her head hanging from the fan and the words scrawled in blood above her bed.

Lennon felt heat start to rise in her as anger roared inside her. She clenched her jaw and stood up.

She looked at the balls which were now scattered all over the gym's wooden floor. She saw in her mind what she wanted them to do.

Suddenly one of the balls floated up in the air, followed by another ball, then another.

Within a matter of seconds, all of the balls were floating around her. She sent one ball flying in the direction of the basketball goal, it flew through the hoop.

Lennon smiled, the balls started circling her. Faster and faster they flew. She sent the balls soaring high into the air and then held them there.

Suddenly one of the balls exploded as it popped making a deafening echo.

One by one she popped the balls with ease using her mind. She let the debris fall all around her like an orange leather of snow.

She looked around the gym and then looked toward the goal. She closed her eyes and the goals screws started falling one by one onto the floor.

The goal then came off its hinge, floating towards Lennon, then resting onto the ground.

She then turned her attention to the bleachers, she started slamming them closed one at a time.

For the first time in her life, she felt powerful and strong.

She knew what she had to do.

Kill her mother.

She started to head out of the gym when Baze walked through the door. She was startled. She felt a tingling sensation in her chest.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. Baze had a serious look on his face. He walked up to Lennon and grabbed her arm.

"Come with me," he said and started dragging her out of the gym.