2.4 Bank of Ruins

2.4 BANK OF RUINS

She turned her car into the first bank that she came upon. She pulled into a spot towards the front and took a long hard look at the large building in front of her.

She grabbed a large oversized suitcase-like bag from the backseat, turned the car off and proceeded into the bank.

The lobby had about four or five people depositing money, and a few others talking to different people in their offices. There were three bankers that stood behind the counters.

One of them bankers spoke up as she approached the counter asking, "can I help you with anything today ma'am?" the woman whose name tag read Kayla asked pleasantly. She took off her glasses and walked up to the counter.

"I'm here to make a withdrawal," she said taking off her dark sunglasses. "Yes, ma'am. And can I see your driver's license and get your account number?" Kayla asked without looking away from her computer screen.

"I don't need too," the girl said with a low chuckle. Kayla looked at the girl with confusion on her face.

"I'm sorry but we can't let you make a withdrawal without an ID. What is your name? I'll be able to write your account number down for you, so you will have it for the next time you come."

The girl had a sly smile on her face. "Jewels Everett," she said in a manner that seemed to be getting more irritated by the minute. Kayla stared at her computer screen.

After punching the name in the bank teller apologized stating, "I'm sorry Miss Everett, but we don't have a record of you having an account with us."

"That's because I don't have an account with you," Jewels said tilting her head to the side and giving the woman behind the counter a sly grin.

Kayla studied the woman's face not sure what to make of what she was saying.

The teller examined Jewels face, trying to determine whether she was trying to play a joke or not. Then she heard Jewels voice inside her head, but her mouth wasn't moving.

She tried to say something but she couldn't. She couldn't move or even speak. Someone would think that a situation like that would freak someone out.

But that wasn't the case. She was relaxed, more than she had ever been in her life. Like nothing in the world mattered.

"Where do you keep the safety deposit boxes?" Jewels asked the bank teller. "In the safe," Kayla replied. "Do you have the key or does someone else?" she asked.

"Someone else," she said. "Take me to them," Jewels said with agitation.

She followed Kayla to an office in the back of the bank. She walked straight in, not even knocking. An older man sat behind the desk looked up in a startled manner.

He removed his glasses and turned red with frustration written across his face. He looked from Kayla then at Jewels not understanding what was going on. Jewels walked in and shut the door behind them.

"Kayla, can I help you? Is something wrong?" he asked leaning forward onto his desk. "Is this who has the keys?" Jewels spoke through telepathy to Kayla.

"Yes," She replied. Jewels walked up to the side of the desk that the man was sitting at and sat on the edge of it. "Yes you can help me," Jewels said with a grin.

The man looked at her with confusion. She looked over at Kayla who was still standing by the door, staring blankly ahead at nothing. "Close the blinds," she thought to Kayla, who immediately started on the task.

"What is going on?" asked the man who could no longer hide the uneasiness in his voice.

Jewels looked into his eyes, and like Kayla, he was immediately lost within Jewels thoughts and control. She touched the man's skin on his hand.

She let out a painful moan and put a hand to her head. She showed the man what she wanted him to do through her sight, instructing him to do and what she wanted.

After the touch, she now knew the layout and everything she needed to know about the contents of the bank.

The man reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a set of keys, then headed out the door and through the bank to the safe.

They went into a small room in the back where lots of boxes lined all the walls from ceiling to floor.

Jewels looked at the safety deposit boxes and thought to the man, "close and lock the door." The man did as he was instructed.