1.3 Freak

1.3 FREAK

"Well, Ms. Lennon," Spoke the school counselor "It seems that you are going to fit in very well at Hauthorn's" the woman had a polite and inviting smile as she stood in the doorway to the schools office.

"You seem to already be making friends" She spoke raising an eyebrow. "Lennon doesn't have a problem making friends with boys," Marge said with a disapproving look on her face.

Lennon felt the heat of embarrassment wash over her face as Marge made the insult. She thought to herself of how little that Marge knew of her personal life. Since Lennon had moved in with Marge, she was insulted on a regular basis.

Marge seemed to like to insult Lennon about boys, lack of fashion and lack of femininity frequently, even though her foster mother obviously did not know a lot about her.

Lennon did not exist when it came to boys. She was always overlooked and unappreciated. She never had a boyfriend, never been kissed, never been anything to the male species. And as far as she was concerned that didn't bother her. She liked being off the radar and keeping to herself.

"Um, yeah, that's me, Ms. Popular," Lennon spoke rolling her eyes and sitting back in the chair, crossing her arms.

"Well, Ms. Popular, come with me please," the lady spoke with a smile. Marge proceSamd to follow and the lady stopped her. "I can take it from here Ms. Bardwell," the Counselor said with a hesitant smile.

"Oh, well Okay, have fun, sweetie. And don't be too much trouble for the lady," Marge said squeezing Lennon's arm to get her point across.

"Sure thing Marge," Lennon replied pulling her arm away. "Follow me, Lennon," said the counselor leading the way down the hall. Marge shot Lennon a menacing look as she reluctantly followed, clutching her school bag that hung over her shoulder.

As they took the first turn down the hallway Lennon realized that the school was even bigger than what the outside had made it seem. They had passed at least two sets of stairways and the halls seemed to go on forever.

"Well Ms. Bardwell," spoke the counselor, "How do you like the school thus far?" "My last name is not Bardwell," Lennon spoke softly, "Marge is not my mother, she is just my foster mother."

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry Lennon," spoke the counselor, who looked at Lennon with concern and sadness. Then she started fumbling with the folder that she had in her hands, flipping through the pages.

"Everett. Lennon Everett. I apologize for that," she said when she found the page she was looking for.

"I am Ms. Alexia," she said speaking softly, smiling again. She had the same smile everyone did when they found out she was a foster child. Everyone always feels sorry for foster children. But sympathy was the last thing that she wanted from anyone.

"Nice to meet you," Lennon replied forcing a smile back. "Well, here is your schedule," Alexia said handing Lennon a sheet of paper, "If you get lost or need anything you can look at this map and it will show you everything on school grounds."

She handed Lennon a second sheet of paper and started walking off, then stopped short and turned around while shooting Lennon a concerned look.

"You know Lennon if you need anything, anything at all, you can come to my office and talk to me," she said with concern on her face. She was a pretty woman, with tall long slender legs.

She wore a skinny brown skirt that came down to her knees; her long legs went down for what seemed like forever before they met her brown high heels. Her white sleeveless lace blouse hung loosely on her slender body.

She seemed nice, but then again it was her job to act like she cared about the problems of her students. "Thanks," Lennon said while looking down at her class schedule.

"Your first class is right across the hall," Mrs. Alexia pointed in the direction of a door then turned around and walked off down the hall. 213 were printed largely on the metal door. There was a large window in the middle of it, and through it Lennon could see rows of students sitting at their desk, a short older man stood at the front of the class behind a podium where he seemed to be reading aloud from a book.

She reluctantly took a deep breath and grabbed the doorknob in front of her when someone tapped her on the shoulder. Lennon let out a yelp of surprise and whirled around.

"Whoa there, jumpy are we?" smiled Baze as he held his hands up like a criminal did to police when they were busted. "Holy shit you scared the crap out of me!" she said harshly as she held her hand to her forehead and breathed slowly trying to catch her breath.

"Are you okay?" asked Baze, a look of concern slowly creeping across his face. "Yeah, I'm fine," she shot back, "just heading into my first class," she replied as she headed back towards the door.

"Allow me," Baze said with a smile and opened the classroom door for her. The teacher stopped his reading as they entered and looked at the two teens standing in his classroom.

"Finally decided to join us, Mr. Newman?" The teacher said crossing his arms over his chest. "And it seems you brought a friend."

"Yeah, I picked her up along the way; she was lost and wandering around the corridor," Baze said smiling in Lennon's direction. "Hmm," replied the teacher.

"Actually, she's new Mr. Rayborn," Baze said when he noticed that Lennon wasn't enjoying all the attention the conversation was getting her. She reached up and grabbed a strand of her hair and pushed it back behind her ear.

"Oh, good, well find a seat. What is your name?" Mr. Rayborn asked coming over and motioning to the desk in front of him. "Lennon," she responded clutching her book bag and holding it close to her.

"Right, Ms. Lennon, there are books on the counter to the left. Grab one and then find yourself a seat," he said resuming his place at the head of the class. Lennon went to the counter and grabbed a textbook, then turned and faced the on looking faces of the students.

The classroom was partially full but she spotted a seat toward the back of the class and started towards it. She was almost to the desk when she tripped over a student's bag and toppled over onto the floor.

Embarrassed she hurried to her feet; her face was hot from blushing with embarrassment. She felt like crying.

What a great first day she thought to herself. She turned around to look to see what she had tripped over and saw a girl looking at her with disgust on her face.

"Watch where you are going next time freak," the girl said. "This kid does not know how to walk," she giggled to her friend who sat behind her.

"I'm sorry," was all that Lennon could get out. "Don't apologize to her Lennon," Baze shot from behind her where he was seated at the back of the classroom. "Aw look, Baze has a girlfriend," stated the snobby girl.

"Don't be jealous because it isn't you," Baze retorted. "I can't be jealous of you. I left you to remember!" she spat back at him. "Get over yourself Jenny," Baze rolled his eyes. Lennon hurried to the seat beside Baze and put her head on her desk.

"Now if we can get back to today's lesson students, on page 56," Mr. Rayborn said as he eyed the class.

Lennon felt like she was being watched, and looked across the room where the girl Jenny had been seated and saw that she was staring her down.

Why was she looking at Lennon with hate in her eyes she asked herself? The first day of school was not going to go as well as she had hoped.

Junior year was going to be a long one.