1.6 Blood and Tears

1.6 BLOOD AND TEARS

Lennon woke up to the sound of the other girls running around the room getting ready for school. She was still naked from when she had cried herself to sleep.

She waited till the other girls left the room before getting up and putting on a t-shirt and shorts. She went into the bathroom and washed her face, which was swollen from crying herself to sleep the night before.

She stood there looking at herself in the mirror for what seemed like ages, she let her mind drift back to the night before when Martin had been watching her in the bathtub.

How long had he been standing there she wondered? She felt the heat of embarrassment creep up her chest and into her face. She didn't realize it but she had taken a strand of her hair and started tugging on it as she let her mind wonder with questions.

What will he do next, she thought to herself? She was so lost in her thoughts that she almost screamed when the mirror in front of her shattered in its frame.

Lennon took a step back eying the mirrors broken pieces that still hung, but now looked jagged, as now not only one image of herself looked back at her, but what seemed to be thousands.

"Great," was all she managed to mumble looking puzzled at the broken mirror. She went into her bedroom and picked out her clothes for the day, choosing a light blue sweater with a pair of khaki pants.

She felt no need to impress anyone at her school. They all thought she was a freak anyway. She rolled her eyes and ran a comb through her long hair, making the finishing touches as a side braid which she let hang loose to the right side of her face.

She walked down the hallway to the kitchen where Marge was sitting with her coffee, the dark circles under her eyes stood out against her pale skin. She obviously didn't sleep well after her argument with Martin which kept her up most of the night.

"Something happened to the mirror in the bathroom," Lennon said hesitantly. Marge looked at Lennon with a distasteful look on her face. "What do you mean something happened to it," she asked her, narrowing her eyes as she started to get up from the table.

"I don't know really, I was just getting cleaned up and it shattered," Lennon said while looking down and tugging on the end of her braid. "Mirrors don't just shatter Lennon," Marge spat over her shoulder while walking down the hall to the bathroom.

Lennon scooped her book bag up and hurried out the door before Marge had the chance to pick another fight. While walking down the steps, she caught sight of Spencer walking out of her gate.

"Morning neighbor," Spencer said with a smile and a wave. "Hey back," Lennon replied with a smile. "Ready to go?" she asked turning to walk toward the school when Spencer grabbed her by the shoulder and stopped her.

"Wait a minute," she said with a giggle, "my sister is always late," she said rolling her eyes. "Hey, Sammie! Hurry the hell up already," Spencer yelled.

"I really need to get going," Lennon said back to Spencer. She didn't want to wait around to see if Marge was going to come chasing after her, to blame her for shattering the mirror.

"Alright, alright I'm coming," said a voice coming from the porch of Lennon's neighboring house. Lennon looked back to see a girl coming down the steps. She didn't look at all like a girl, more like a boy. She had short hair which was brown and fell loosely on her face.

She had sand colored skin, like someone who had been out working in the sun, and Lennon didn't notice until the girl had gotten right beside her that she had the same striking eye color that she herself had.