2.9 Training: Energy

2.9 TRAINING: ENERGY

She stood at the clearing of a wooded area about a mile outside of town. Sam and Spencer stood opposite each other on both sides of the open stretch of land.

"Ready?" yelled Spencer.

"Are you kidding me? The question is, is Spence ready?" Sam yelled back, her hands on her hips in a taunting manner.

Spencer closed her eyes for a few seconds. Suddenly water from the morning rain on the ground began to rise all around Spencer. It looked like diamonds just floating in the air. It surrounded Spencer; spinning around her like the earth revolves around the sun.

Lennon's jaw practically dropped to the ground. She watched as the water droplets started spinning faster and faster until it appeared to be a tornado wall of water.

Sam still stood with her hands on her hips about twenty yards from Spencer. She rolled her eyes after a few moments. "Oh, will you come on? Stop showing off for Lennon!"

Spencer opened her eyes with a crazy smile on her face. Sam smiled back and squatted down, hands up in a defensive position pivoting from one foot to another.

It happened so quickly that Lennon could have missed it if she had blinked. The water shot forward towards Sam like hundreds of tiny spears.

Lennon tried to scream out a warning at Sam but there was no need. Sam put her hands out like Lennon had seen her do the night she saved Lennon from Martin, the water resisted inches from Sam like it was being pushed against an invisible wall.

Both girls stood arms out, strain on their faces. They seemed to be in a silent battle between themselves. Lennon stood in awe of the things she was seeing.

Sam gritted her teeth pushing the water away with an invisible force. A smile crept over her face; suddenly pebbles that lay on the ground around Sam started lifting from the ground.

They floated slowly towards Spencer, unlike the attack that had been inflicted on her.

Spencer looked with worry as the rocks got closer. Suddenly one at a time the pebbles shot out towards Spencer, like bullets they moved so fast it was hard to keep them in sight.

When the first stone hit her, Spencer winced in pain, but she never lost focus. She kept her arms out, pushing her wall of water toward Sam.

The pebbles which were no larger than the size of nickels shot out, this time, three or four at a time.

One pebble hit Spencer in the face, she squealed in pain, losing her concentration. She grabbed her face where the stone had struck her.

The wall of water that Sam had been defending against suddenly was in her control. She pushed it towards Spencer, who was bent over, one hand on her knee the other over her wounded face.

The water floated over Spencer's head. Sam laughed and then dropped her arms that had been held up. The water came crashing down onto Spencer's head, she let out a gasping sound then screamed.

"I freaking hate you!" she ran toward Sam's arms stretched out in front of her. Sam laughed and let Spencer tackle her. Spencer squealed laughing and wrestling with her sister.

They heard footsteps approaching from somewhere in the woods. "Quiet!" Sam said while standing up. Kirhsten walked out from the bushes, a smile on her face.

"Hey guys," she said cheerfully.

"Where have you been?" Sam asked.

"Around," Kirhsten said looking down. She looked at Lennon with a weird look on her face. "You guys think it's smart to bring her here?"

Lennon and Kirhsten had never really talked; she always felt a bit that Kirhsten didn't like her very much. The statement she had just made sealed the deal on that thought.

"Spencer was right, she's like Spence and me. She needs to be trained or she will be vulnerable," Sam said kicking Spencer in the leg in a playful way.

"You haven't been over in a while. Everything okay?" Spencer asked looking at Kirhsten with sympathy. Everyone assumed that Kirhsten was having problems again with her alcoholic mother.

"Some of us can't read minds to know the answers to test you know. Some people have to actually study," Kirhsten said crossing her arms.

"Wow, what bit you in the ass?" Spencer said rolling her eyes.

"Okay cool it, kids," Sam said looking at Lennon, "come on, it's your turn."

"Yes! I get to pop her cherry!" Spencer said with excitement.

Lennon was not very excited about this at all. "I have no idea what you want me to do. Only time anything has ever happened was on accident. I mean I might not have even done it!" Lennon started rambling.

"Just shut it and come on," Sam said laughing. Like before, Spencer stood on one side of the clearing, Sam, and Lennon on the other.

Kirhsten sat on the grass with her legs crossed, watching the girls with amusement on her face.

"Make it good girls! You have an audience now," she yelled from the sidelines.

"What am I supposed to do?" Lennon asked with a look of total panic.

"Energy," Sam said with her hands on her hips. She looked different Lennon thought to herself.

She wore a black wife beater, which made her tanned skin look like it had a glow to it. The black shorts she wore had white pinstripe and went down a little past her knees with black slip on vans. Her hair seemed to be getting longer in the front, and her black fitted hat made her blue eyes stand out.

Lennon realized she was checking Sam out.

Get your life together for the love of baby Jesus Lennon! Lennon screamed inside her head.

"Are you not getting what I'm saying?" Sam asked with frustration.

"I didn't hear you sorry," Lennon said biting down on her lower lip.

"You're going to make me smack you. You have to pay attention. Do you not understand how serious this shit is? Now, listen this time. Energy, that's all it is. If you can control your energy then you can do what your mind wants it too," Sam said speaking slowly so Lennon could absorb all that she was saying.

"What are you feeling right now?" Sam asked her.

"Um, confused?" Lennon said in more of a question than a statement.

"What makes you angry?" Sam said with a laugh, "but don't say it, just think it, if that makes sense."

Lennon closed her eyes and let memories flood over her. She tried focusing on the energy she was starting to feel growing inside of her.

She felt the heat of something familiar cover her completely, and she opened her eyes with confidence, for the first time in years.