Chapter 37 Truth, love and family

Start from the beginning

After asking around for a good half an hour, we had realized that everyone seemed to be under strict order not to give us a ride back. Grabbing a few hoodies that were left lying around, I was glad that some of the boys wore light jackets – we would have to risk heading out. Sooner or later people would arrive at the studio and we couldn't still be here by then.

"Quick." I waved and Elena grumbled something about wishing to fly off. However, that would make her a moving target for all to see.

Cynthia, do you think you can shield us from sight for a little? I asked the Balikova and the corner of her lips twitched down.

I will do my best. Cynthia said, I could sense that she was reluctant to do it. But at the heat of the moment, I could tell that it was more because she couldn't do it. Her powers were more limited than I thought.

Frustrated, I wished that we had brought Casey along; she would make short work of this situation. The same could be said about Charmain, although a group of people disappearing in the middle of the street would probably ruse even more suspicious. In situations like this, soft powers were more useful.

"Why are they looking at us?" Joelle whispered, tugging her hood further down her face. She was a sweet girl, always helping diffuse tension, not that there was a lot of disagreement. Apart from the occasional scuffle between Marcus and Lorenzo, and a few snobby comments from Elena and Cynthia, most of us got along fine.

"Maybe we should dig a tunnel?" Ben suggested, always the sensible one. But he didn't understand urban structures.

"It will be too difficult, we would need to avoid all the infrastructure." Lei An shook her head, stomping on the ground. "Not to mention the tarmac."

"Cheer up, we have already made it so far." Sebastian said, his long legs carrying him further forward than any of us. It was true that we remained undetected so far, but he forgot that we had only made it five minutes or so. "I don't see anything going wrong."

"In the next two minutes." Lorenzo coughed, making us chuckle, and Sebastian mock scowled at him. Despite the fact that Lorenzo had a mean mouth, somehow everyone hadn't been completely offended by him. In fact, they seemed to tolerate him.

"Can you be less offensive?" I scolded Lorenzo, moving next to him. I was all for a good joke there and here, but his timing had been inappropriate. "And couldn't Bugatti send someone else? Now the Apocalypse know exactly who you are."

"Oh Abby, are you worried about me?" Lorenzo smirked, waving his hand around like it was no big deal. But I didn't miss the fleeting sadness in his eyes.

"I just don't want you to die on us. You just got back after all." I replied, gauging his reactions.

"Nay, I just got back to being me." Lorenzo answered, and that look appeared again. "Plus, I knew these guys before I went off."

Several thoughts flashed through my mind; it appeared that the Legacy families aren't that segregated from one another, and that Lorenzo's time undercover had affected him more than I could imagine.