Chapter 34 This must be just like living in politics

The first thing that came into my mind was that the president that I remembered was bold and fat and well, not called Theodore Jacob. That name sounded like it was picked out of a literature book, or a history book. The second thought was that I should probably shake his hand out of courtesy.

"Pleasure to meet you." I said automatically, my brain a little frozen by the fact that I was somehow meeting the president of the government that was the sole reason why Akram had left the Originals. Even though I knew that he had a reason behind his irrational distrust of them, I was still on edge about this unannounced visit.

"I was under the impression that there will be a grand meeting happening today." He said, giving my hand a firm shake before dropping it, look around expectantly. I stole a glance at Caleb and Gina, both looking a little sheepish. I shouldn't blame them, how can you refuse a request from the president if you are just a lowly researcher/student in one of the government funded institute.

"Cynthia, can you get Hugo and Lynette for me." I said to my cousin unnecessarily; we could have just communicated telepathically, but I wanted to let the president know too.

"Sure." Cynthia said, disappearing around the corner for the sake of appearances as I sought out my grandfather's mind myself.

The president of the UGE is here. I told him, sensing him turn rigid in his chitchat with a Lessig family member. Bring Lynette as well.

I will be right over. He replied and I retracted my sense, letting myself focus on the entourage in front of me. Caleb and Gina had somehow migrated to the back, their role as the introductory guide ended.

"How might we help you?" Grandpa Hugo came just as the silent was getting awkward and I breathed a sigh of relief; I was no good at politics, only the brunt truth. Although that had gotten me far along this journey with destroying the Apocalypse, I knew that handling the president would take more than tact and grace – they need the dancing around each other and saying what you don't mean process. Something that my grandparents had and I would rather not.

"Mr. Jacobs." Grandpa Hugo greeted him warmly but yet remained distant, something that I wished I had learnt how to do. Lynette had put on her haughty expression on that she reserved for people who are somehow more important than her.

"We should go elsewhere and talk." Lynette suggested after they had introduced themselves as my grandparents. It was a wise thing to do; while Saralisa's flat had maximum security set up, both by the SMS and POEs, Katerina had her were not in the meeting to avoid complete annihilation if someone were to attack. However, there is no secret in Pax, which meant we were unlikely to not be warned of an attack, but we were also in danger of being ambushed by the resident.

"Wise." Theodore Jacob nodded, though I didn't miss the quick flash of disappointment in his eyes. It didn't occur to me until then that just maybe this president might be curious about the POE world, and that just maybe he wanted to be on our side.

Shaking my optimism aside, I watched as a sleek black limo rounded the corner as though it heard us talking. Another, more modest car, appeared behind it and Caleb and Gina waved me goodbye before getting on there. Those two got off easy.