Chapter 9

I narrowed my eyes as my new target paced around the living room of her beach house.

Currently perched on a tree hidden in the shadows, I followed Krista Vilegas with my eyes as she worriedly walked around the room. Heals clicking with each step, her hands clenched and unclenched in anxiety.

A whisper in the air found its way to my ears and without a thought, I tuned into my hearing.

"What should I do? He would have known about the money now. I'm sure he will send someone to kill me..."

I remained blank and unmoving as I listened to the one-sided conversation.

"I shouldn't have intervened. I should have let him be..."

Deciding to make my move, I jumped down the tree and started to walk towards the open window of her kitchen. Laying my hands on the window sill, I heaved myself through in one fluid motion, carefully keeping my hearing on her.

"Maybe I should run away? At least until the smoke clears..."

My eyes darkened as I walked through the kitchen, avoiding the island bar in the center and the sprawled chairs on its side. She better not run. My kills always tend to become messy when my target is on the lose.

"No. That won't work. I know he'll always find me..."

My boots made no sound as I approached her lone figure. With each approaching step, my hands lowered to the hilt of my blades as I watch her turn her back to me.

"But then, how should I react knowing my father is the Phoenix...?"

I faltered, my boots stepping on a lose floorboard. The sound of its creak made my eyes darken as my target's back abruptly stiffened. Slowly, as if not sure how to react, Krista turned to meet my gaze. As soon as she took in my appearance, her green eyes widened in fear and surprise.

Swiftly, I raced towards her and pushed her to the wall as I trapped her with a blade on her neck and the other on her hips, barely touching her hand. As I moved my body to a comfortable position, she choked against me.

"Hush", I stiffly soothed her, though my blank voice seemed to scare her further as she began shaking in my hands, her choking now audible.

Irritated, I gritted my teeth before pressing my blades harder against the surface of her neck. "Shut up."

Immediately, she held her mouth shut, although she couldn't stop herself from shaking in fear.

Remembering her mumbling about the Phoenix, my grip on the handles of my blades tightened.

"Tell me everything about the Phoenix." I demanded.

"But you just told me to shut up!" She squeaked out, a trait I found very amusing as my frown turned into a small smirk.

"And now, I'm telling you to talk about the Phoenix." I whispered lowly into her ear, making sure the warning behind my words could be detected.

"U-hh... h-he... t-tried-", She started to stutter as her hands visibly shook.

I felt my knuckles turn white from the tight grip I had on my blades, though I did nothing to lessen it. While I had a blank and calm demeanor, my body was on the edge after hearing the title of my parent's killer.

She pursed her lips and glanced at my blades warily before bowing her head in defeat.

"He killed my husband", she sobbed out, managing not to stutter again. "That Phoenix", she spat out, "killed the love of my life after I blackmailed his job against him."